Connection method: Virtual
Open to Provincial Region
Help review the provincial findings related to the impact of video remote interpretation (VRI) to improve language accessibility in health care across BC!
Provincial Health Services Authority, Office of Virtual Health
The purpose of this report is to evaluate the impact of VRI, as well as understanding patient and provider experiences when using VRI with respect to three key dimensions (access, technical and clinical quality, and productivity/cost-efficiency) across clinical areas that have been actively part of the VRI expansion.
The role of the patient partner will be to provide their insights and feedback on the report.
Level of Engagement
This opportunity is at the level of consult on the spectrum of engagement. The promise to you is that the health care partner will listen to and acknowledge your ideas and concerns, and provide feedback on how your input affected the decision.
Open to patient partners across the province who:
• Have experience in the health care setting (within the last 6 months) where language was a barrier to accessing care e.g., English as a second language or where interpreter services weren’t available
• Some familiarity with reading reports is an asset but not required
• Are comfortable providing feedback in an online meeting via Zoom (email feedback can also be provided)
If you have a strong interest in this work but have not yet completed a PVN orientation and Patient Partner Commitments, are unsure if your experience is a good fit or feel another format of engagement would work better with your availability, please contact Cassy Mitchell.
• Number of vacancies: 1-2
• Date and Time: March 6th – March 17th at a time that is convenient for the patient partner
• Location: Online meeting via Zoom
• Commitment: 1-2 meetings (more sessions can be added if necessary to support the patient partner) and feedback can also be provided via email if preferred
No out of pocket expenses are anticipated for this engagement opportunity. However, if you meet the eligibility criteria, but have concerns about your ability to participate, please contact Cassy Mitchell email@example.com to see if support options are available. We are always seeking to better understand and reduce barriers to participation.
Video Remote Interpreting (VRI) is a service that allows patients and providers to connect to on-demand interpreters for more than 200 languages on audio and 40 languages on video, including American Sign Language (ASL).
In collaboration with Provincial Language Services (PLS), the Office of Virtual Health (OVH), and participating Health Authorities (HA), VRI was deployed as an additional interpreting resource as part of an expansion project since September 2020.
A patient partner is wanted to help review a provincial evaluation report on Video Remote Interpreting (VRI) across the province.
The report includes the experiences of patients across the province. Therefore, it is important to work with patient partners to ensure that the patients’ experiences are clearly and accurately represented.
Resources such as an interpreter can be arranged to support the patient partner.