It’s important to us that volunteer opportunities are successful and meaningful for our volunteers and health care partners.
This Volunteer Agreement will ensure that you know what support you can expect as well as your responsibilities as a volunteer.
If you have any questions or need more information about the form, please email email@example.com or call us at 604.668.8240 or 1.877.282.1919 and we’ll be happy to help.
Please review and sign this document as part of your volunteer commitment to Patient Voices Network, which is supported through the BC Patient Safety & Quality Council (BCPSQC) and the Province of BC.
Our commitment to you as a volunteer is to ensure that*:
- You are treated with fairness, courtesy, dignity and respect;
- You are offered suitable opportunities for engagement;
- You are kept informed about PVN as much as possible through communication channels such as newsletters, websites, and social media;
- You are provided with sound guidance, orientation, and skills development;
- You are provided appropriate recognition; and
- You feel safe and supported.
* Adapted from Self-Management BC’s Program Leader Handbook
As part of my commitment to Patient Voices Network as a Volunteer, I agree that:
With respect to volunteer conduct:
- I will collaborate with others.
- I will respect the rights and views of others, and treat them with fairness, courtesy, dignity and respect.
- I will not engage in any form of harassment or discrimination.
- I will discuss any potential conflicts of interest with PVN staff should such a situation arise, including benefits related to my professional interests.
- I will, to the best of my abilities, follow through on my commitments regarding volunteer opportunities offered through PVN. If I am not able to meet a commitment, I will notify PVN staff as soon as possible.
- I will refer inquiries I receive about the governance or management of the Network to PVN staff.
- I will inform PVN staff of any information that can help the Network measure, monitor and support my involvement.
With respect to confidentiality:
- I will respect the privacy of PVN members and health care partners.
- I will consider details about medical conditions, family relations, contact information, and other facts of a highly personal nature as confidential. I will not disclose any information without the specific permission of the individual concerned.
- I understand that all information (including but not limited to: initiatives in development, internal correspondence, financial information, unpublished research or statistical data) obtained through volunteer opportunities is confidential. I agree not to tell, show, copy, sell, change or disclose this information to others without prior permission.
- I will take all reasonable measures to ensure information is kept secure and disposed of appropriately.
- I will seek clarification from PVN staff and/or the health care partner if I have any questions or concerns about confidentiality.
- I will notify PVN staff and the health care partner if I believe I may have inadvertently breached confidentiality.
- I understand that I may be requested to sign an additional confidentiality agreement provided by the health care partner.
- After leaving PVN, I will maintain confidentiality on personal and engagement information as outlined above.
Sharing Responses to Engagement Invitations
When volunteers respond to PVN engagement invitations, it is accepted that all responses, including personal information, may be provided to the health care partner leading the engagement as part of the selection process. When multiple volunteers are selected for the same engagement, they may be provided each other’s names and email addresses to be able to connect with each other.
The BC Patient Safety & Quality Council will collect personal information under section 26 (c) of the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act for the purposes of operating the Patient Voices Network. If you have any questions about the disclosure of your personal information please contact: Ben Ridout, Director, Patient & Public Engagement, BC Patient Safety & Quality Council, 201-750 West Pender St., Vancouver, BC, or via telephone at 604.668.8211.