Posted • Last updated
Deadline: Open until filled
Open to Interior Region, Patient partners in the South Okanagan area
Do you have an interest in ethics, ethical decision making and medical care? Join this committee to support medical professionals and patients/families in making difficult medical decisions.
Open to: Patient partners in the South Okanagan area
Lead Organization or DepartmentInterior Health (IH)
- To support medical professionals and patients/families in making difficult medical decisions that create moral distress for either/all parties.
- It is important to have a non-medical voice in the decision making process.
- The role would be to participate in ethical discussions, attend monthly meetings and education sessions when available.
Level of EngagementThis opportunity is at the level of involve on the spectrum of engagement. The promise to you is that the health care partner will involve patients in planning and design phases to ensure ideas or concerns are considered and reflected in alternatives and recommendations.
- Some understanding of Clinical Ethics
- Comfort with speaking in front of strangers
- Ability to voice personal bias
- Ability to share opinions that may or may not reflect the opinions of others in the room
- We are looking for a patient partner from the Princeton, Keremeos & Oliver/Osoyoos areas who are embedded in their communities and can bring the rural experience
- We are also looking for a member from pastoral care
- Vacancies: 2-4
- The committee meets monthly on the second Wednesday of the month at 07:30-08:45 am. There are also occasional clinical reviews that may be on short notice usually during business hours.
- There's an educational day every June that is held in Kelowna
- Meetings are held either in-person or by teleconference
- The committee will continue for over a year
ReimbursementParking passes will be provided, there is no funding to coverage mileage but teleconference is available.
BackgroundThis committee has been in place since 2002 and works closely with all areas of health care. The group consists of interdisciplinary participants from the medical field, law and community at large. Some of the information provided can be very sensitive and challenging to hear, and confidentiality is a must. There is a Terms of Reference which is in the process of being reviewed by the committee and will be distributed as needed. Participants are required to attend an orientation process.
Engagement Leader Contact Information
Engagement Leader, Patient and Public Engagement | Okanagan, Interior Region
This opportunity will be open until it is filled.