Posted • Last updated
Open to Northern Region, Patient partners in Smithers, BC and the surrounding area
Have you experienced inpatient care at Bulkley Valley District Hospital in Smithers? Would you like to share your experience of the quality of care and support you received? If so, Northern Health Support Services and the Bulkley Valley District Hospital want to hear from you!
Open to: Patient partners in Smithers, BC and the surrounding area
Lead Organization or DepartmentNorthern Health Support Services and the Bulkley Valley District Hospital (BVDH)
AimThe goal of this initiative is to better understand the perception and satisfaction of those who have experienced inpatient care services (such as nursing, food and housekeeping) at BVDH. By including patients in this work, NH Support Services and BVDH staff hope to hear real stories of what has worked well and what hasn’t, and work towards the types of experiences patients feel they should have.
Level of EngagementThis opportunity is at the level of consult on the spectrum of engagement. The promise to you is that the health care partner will listen to and acknowledge your ideas and concerns, and provide feedback on how your input affected the decision.
- Open to patient partners living in Smithers, BC and the surrounding area
- Patient partners should have experience (either directly or as a family member/caregiver) receiving inpatient care at BVDH in the past 2 years
- Patient partners should be comfortable sharing their experiences and perceptions of care in a group setting, including with other patients, hospital staff, and health authority leaders.
- If you have a strong interest in this work but have not yet completed a PVN orientation and Volunteer Agreement, are unsure if your experience is a good fit or feel another format of engagement would work better with your availability, please contact Cathy Almost or Anthony Gagné.
- Vacancies: 10
- Date and time TBD, depending on patient partner availability.
- Three sessions will be held – one for patient partners under 30 years old, one for those between 30 and 70 years oldand one for those over 70 years of age.
- Sessions will be held at BVDH. Teleconference options may be arranged for those who cannot attend in person.
- One-time commitment
ReimbursementParking and local mileage expenses will be reimbursed by Northern Health.
BackgroundSince 2015, Northern Health has committed to embedding a culture of Person and Family-Centered Care (PFCC) throughout the organization; this includes at the point-of-care in Northern Health Facilities. Recently, staff and leaders at Northern Health Support Services and the BVDH have noted patient concerns about the quality of care and services offered to those requiring inpatient care at the facility. In the spirit of PFCC, staff and leadership are committed to exploring these challenges in reaching overall patient satisfaction, and working with patients to identify ways to improve services going forwards. BVDH leadership recognizes that the service needs and perceptions of care vary greatly among different age groups. For this reason, three separate focus groups will be held to address unique concerns for each group.
Engagement Leader Contact Information
Engagement Leader, Patient and Public Engagement | Northern BC