Posted • Last updated
Connection method: Virtual
Open to Provincial Region
Looking to expand your knowledge and skills about quality improvement practices in health care? Participate in 10+ hours per month of self-directed learning from the Institute for Healthcare Improvement (IHI) Open School Basic Certificate!
The BC Patient Safety & Quality Council is sponsoring patient partners to participate in this online learning opportunity to gain essential training and tools on the topics of improvement methods, measuring change, patient safety and more!
BC Patient Safety & Quality Council
• Earn the Basic Certificate in Quality and Safety to boost your knowledge, skills and confidence to participate in improvement projects and change health care for the better.
• By the end of the course, participants will build core skills in quality improvement, safety and leadership.
Level of Engagement
This opportunity is at the level of inform on the spectrum of engagement. The promise to you is that you will be provided with balanced and objective information to assist in understanding alternatives and solutions.
• Current PVN Patient Partner; includes newly oriented or long-time PVN members.
• Demonstrate an interest in quality improvement in health care and how they intend to apply and share the knowledge and skills they gain from attending.
• Comfortable reading and understanding academic and research writing styles (not required).
• Must have regular access to a computer and the internet in order to complete the online learning.
• If more interest is received than spots available, preference may be given to those who have not been supported for an educational opportunity through PVN within the last 12 months.
• A portion of seats will be reserved for patient partners in each region and consideration will be given to diversity, so that participants reflect the population of our province
• Number of vacancies: 25
• The IHI Open School Basic Certificate in Quality & Safety involves 13 courses, with most of them taking 1-2 hours to complete. The courses are grouped together into separate lessons that you can complete at different times. We have heard from patient partners who have previously been registered in this program that some courses took significantly more than the time anticipated
• Your online access to this course will be from Dec 1, 2022 – Feb 28, 2023.
No out-of-pocket expenses are anticipated for this engagement opportunity. If you meet the eligibility criteria but have concerns about your ability to participate, please contact Rachelle Ferrer (email@example.com) to see if support options are available. We are always seeking to better understand and reduce barriers to participation.
The IHI Open School is a global learning community, here to support you and your team in providing the best possible care.
When you engage with the Open School’s online education, local chapters, and guided improvement projects, you join more than 500,000 interprofessional learners from universities, organizations, and health systems around the world in building core skills in improvement, safety, system design, and leadership.
To receive the certificate, you must complete the 13 Open School courses on topics of:
• Introduction to health care improvement
• How to Improve with the Model for Improvement
• Testing and measuring changes with PDSA Cycles
• Interpreting data: run charts, control charts and other measurement tools
• Leading quality improvement
• Introduction to patient safety
• From error to harm
• Human factors and safety
• Teamwork and communication in a culture of safety
• Responding to adverse events
Triple Aim for Populations:
• Introduction to the Triple Aim for Populations
• Introduction to Patient-Centred Care
• Introduction to Health Care Leadership