Posted • Last updated
Open to Fraser – Vancouver Coastal, Patient partners in Fraser Health communities
Improving the elective surgical journey for older adults is part of a new seniors’ health clinic in Fraser Health. The development team is looking for two patient partners who have experience with elective surgery to ensure the clinic includes what matters to patients during their journey.
Open to: Patient partners in Fraser Health communities
Lead Organization or DepartmentFraser Health
- To trial and test if a clinic preparing patients for surgery will effectively improve outcomes for frail older adults undergoing major general surgery.
- The patient partners will share their lived experience as part of the development team to ensure all aspects of the clinic align with what matters to patients and their families.
Level of EngagementThis opportunity is at the level of involve on the spectrum of engagement. The promise to you is that the health care partner will involve patients in planning and design phases to ensure ideas or concerns are considered and reflected in alternatives and recommendations.
EligibilityThis invitation is being extended to patient partners who:
- Have experience going through surgery or caregiving for an older adult friend/relative who has gone through surgery
- Are comfortable sharing their opinion
- Vacancies: 2
- Date/time: During business hours, specifics to be confirmed with patient partners for December
- Commitment: Two meetings a month for the first two months, then one meeting for the next three months for a six-month timeframe
- Location: New Westminster (Queens Park Care Centre or Royal Columbian Hospital) In person/teleconference
ReimbursementPreapproved expenses related to travel to in-person meetings will be reimbursed according to the Fraser Health Travel policy (including mileage, parking and public transit).
BackgroundOlder adults going through surgery are at higher risk of complications and worse outcomes. There is evidence that geriatric assessment and exercise prior to surgery can improve patient outcomes. Specialist doctors in this clinic will assess patients to prepare them for surgery and aid their recovery. This will be done in the community to improve their care in hospital after surgery. We are interested in trying to improve the patient experience through this clinic, as patients often have many appointments prior to surgery, and we would like to ensure that their experience is the best it can be. The initiative involves multiple specialist physicians and other health professionals across the region.
Health Care Partner Contact Information
Engagement Leader, Patient and Public Engagement | Fraser Valley