Posted • Last updated
Open to Provincial Region, Patient partners across the province
Do you have a mind for strategy with a keen interest for improving accessibility, safety, and effectiveness of care for critically ill patients across the province? This opportunity is for you!
Open to: Patient partners across the province
Lead Organization or DepartmentBC Patient Safety & Quality Council
AimThe Provincial Critical Care Working Group was formed to provide a forum to discuss and make recommendations on strategies to improve the acceptability, appropriateness, accessibility, safety, and effectiveness of care for critically ill patients across the province. Patient partners will be asked to help prioritize provincially significant critical care issues and ensure strategy recommendations align with principles in person- and family-centred care.
Level of EngagementThis opportunity is at the level of involve on the spectrum of engagement. The promise to you is that the health care partner will involve patients in planning and design phases to ensure ideas or concerns are considered and reflected in alternatives and recommendations.
- Experience with the BC health care system in general, specifically in a critical care unit (e.g. Intensive Care Unit-ICU, cardiac critical care), either as a patient, family member or caregiver, within the last 10 years
- Experience with maintaining the patient perspective in group decision making, particularly in strategic committee/working group settings
- Interested in sharing insights and information from lived experiences in critical care that others can learn from
- Comfortable in fast-paced and respectful group settings, with an ability to articulate effectively and succinctly
- Please note:
- Patient partners who are currently employed by health authories are not eligible for this opportunity
- The placement process for this opportunity may include an informal interview between the volunteer and the health care partner.
- Vacancies: 2
- Date/time: Critical Care Working Group meetings are held four times per year (excluding July and August)
- Meetings are typically from 9:30 – 15:30
- Location: In person participation at the BCPSQC Vancouver Offices (West Pender St.) are preferred, but we can coordinate remote participation via WebEx (an online webinar platform).
- There may be additional communication and decisions made by email in between meetings
- Commitment: One year with the possibility of renewal
ReimbursementExpenses related to travel (i.e., transit, parking, approved mileage) to attend meetings will be reimbursed. Lunch and light refreshments will be provided during meetings.
BackgroundThe Critical Care Working Group was initially formed in 2013 as an expert advisory group on critical care matters, reporting to the Ministry of Health. Since then, it has developed into a provincial forum to drive improvements in care for critically ill pateints in critical care settings (e.g. Intensive Care Units) across BC. The Critical Care Working Group appreciates the vital importance of patient, family and caregiver input in driving improvements, and is seeking two patient partners to become standing members of the group. The Critical Care Working Group consists of the following standing members:
- Representatives from the BC Patient Safety & Quality Council, including the Critical Care Lead
- Representatives from each health authority with specific knowledge of critical care service delivery and with critical care clinical expertise
- Data measurement and analysis advisor, to support the development and reporting of quality metrics from the provincial critical care database
- Representative from the Canadian Association of Critical Care Nurses
- Representative from BC Emergency Health Services
- One pediatric ICU representative
Health Care Partner Contact Information
Engagement Leader, Patient & Public Engagement