Connection methods: Virtual, In-person
Open to Fraser – Vancouver Coastal
St. Paul’s Hospital PeriAnesthesia Department is seeking a Patient Partner to inform our Post-Operative Delirium Prevention Strategy. Help us create a safer post-operative experience for future surgical patients!
Providence Health Care
• St. Paul’s Hospital (Providence Health Care) is engaged in a Quality Improvement initiative to reduce the occurrence of delirium in our Surgical High Acuity Unit (SHAU). Delirium is a common complication following surgery. It can be very distressing for patients, their families, and staff members, and can lead to longer lengths of stay and worse outcomes for those who experience it.
• We are in the process of implementing an intervention care bundle known as The Hospital Elder Life Program (HELP) and are seeking a Patient Partner to share their experience of delirium with our team. Your input would greatly help tailor interventions to patient comfort and safety and provide feedback to strengthen future knowledge and planning.
Level of Engagement
This opportunity is at the level of consult on the spectrum of engagement. The promise to you is that the health care partner will listen to and acknowledge your ideas and concerns, and provide feedback on how your input affected the decision.
Open to volunteers from Vancouver Coastal region who:
• Have experienced delirium following surgery.
• Are willing & comfortable to share health care experiences in a group setting.
• Have access to technology and the internet to participate in the engagement.
• Comfortable using technology to attend online/virtual meetings.
• Number of vacancies: 2
• Date/Time: Date/Time: Maximum 3 meetings, date/time in consultation with your schedule.
• Commitment: One to six months, starting ASAP until May 2023.
• Location: In person or virtual participation based on participant availability/preference.
Honorarium available following funding in May. Any necessary transportation costs acquired will be reimbursed according to Providence Health Care Travel Policy.
This initiative was started following a chart audit on delirium incidence in our SHAU (Surgical High Acuity Unit). Active members on our team include Registered Nurses, Anesthesiologists, Geriatric Medicine Physician and residents. We will be implementing the HELP (Hospital Elder Life Program) bundle as our working intervention. This is related to the Hospital setting.