Posted • Last updated
Open to Vancouver Island Region, Patient partners in the Island Health region
Island Health is participating in a simulated learning project and simulated learning sessions creating around the Health Care Consent, and Consent to Facility Admission Act. We are looking for patient partners to help guide us and ensure that the information is appropriate, and reflects what you would want to know!
Open to: Patient partners in the Island Health region
Lead Organization or DepartmentQuality Improvement, Island Health
AimThe goal of our initiative is:
- Help design and participate in simulated learning sessions that include the patient, physician, and health care provider’s perspectives to support learning needs. Our simulated learning sessions will highlight the conversations that we have with our patients about long term care, living at risk (choosing to stay at home even if it means accepting some risk), and self determination (the ability to choose where one lives the rest of their life).
Level of EngagementThis opportunity is at the level of collaborate on the spectrum of engagement. The promise to you is that the health care partner will work together with you to formulate solutions and incorporate your advice and recommendations into the decisions to the maximum extent possible.
- Looking for patient partners from: ideally Victoria (as most of the work will be done there) but willing to open up Island wide dependent on the response.
- No experience in health care necessary
- Please note:
- This opportunity is not open to patient partners who are currently employed by Island Health
- The placement process for this opportunity may include an informal interview between the patient and the health care partner.
- Applicants must have previously attended a PVN orientation session and completed the Volunteer Agreement. If you have not attended an orientation session but you are interested in this opportunity, please contact Ashley Clark directly to see if accommodations may be possible.
- Vacancies: 2
- Date/time: Meetings are weekly, every Tuesday, from 11 am - 12 pm
- The Simulated Learning Project is not yet underway, but I would anticipate several one hour meetings during a one-month period for that portion of the initiative
- Location: Victoria with the option to teleconference in to meetings
- Commitment: One week to six months
ReimbursementPre-approved transportation & parking costs to attend meetings will be reimbursed by Island Health.
BackgroundNew legislation for Health Care Consent and Consent to Facility Admission, has changed the way people access l care and has resulted in Island Health forming a working group to make sure they comply with the new legislation. The working group consists of a multi disciplinary team of nurses, social workers, educators, manager of ethics, and director and manager of simulation learning. This opportunity is to review material that we are developing for clients and families to outline the changes and help them to understand the new way of thinking about access to Long Term Care, Hospice, Mental Health Facilities, or Respite that includes informed consent from the person involved. The patient partner will be asked to:
- Review the legislation and practice guides for content and context
- Assist in the development of simulated learning conversations, helping us to understand the viewpoint of the client and family
Health Care Partner Contact Information
Engagement Leader, Patient & Public Engagement | Vancouver Island