Posted • Last updated
Connection method: Virtual
Open to Provincial Region
Are you Interested in improving Long-Term Care in BC? GPSC, a partnership between the Ministry of Health and Doctors of BC, recently completed a review of its Long Term Care Initiative. After 5 years of operation and wide implementation across the province, GPSC will be working on strategic opportunities to improve and evolve the initiative and are inviting two long-term care patients or family members/care-givers of long-term care patients to join them in this work.
GPSC, Primary & Community Care Transformation
• GPSC recently completed a review of the GPSC Long Term Care Initiative (LTCI). This initiative has been running for more than 5 years, and has been widely implemented across the province. Several recommendations arose from the review, and next steps and implementation of these recommendations will require specific attention and guidance from a dedicated task group.
• Under the direction, and on behalf, of the GPSC, the GPSC Long Term Care Initiative Task Group (“the task group”) will direct the implementation of recommendations found in the LTCI review. This includes providing advice to staff, providing strategic guidance, and making recommendations about the evolution of the LTCI.
• Patient partners will participate in task group meetings, review documents, and provide their perspectives for the future directions for the LTCI in issues such as service delivery, evaluation, and quality improvement.
Level of Engagement
This opportunity is at the level of collaborate on the spectrum of engagement. The promise to you is that the health care partner will work together with you to formulate solutions and incorporate your advice and recommendations into the decisions to the maximum extent possible.
Open to patient partners across the province who:
• Have received long-term care, or are a family member or caregiver of someone who has received long-term care
• Are comfortable participating in groups with different power dynamics and with multiple stakeholders
• Have experience reviewing documents and providing feedback
• Are comfortable attending meetings via Zoom
Please note that informal interviews may form part of the selection process.
If you have a strong interest in this work but have not yet completed a PVN orientation and Volunteer Agreement, are unsure if your experience is a good fit or feel another format of engagement would work better with your availability, please contact Cassy Mitchell.
• Number of vacancies: 2
• Date and Time: Monthly meetings to be held, starting in May or June. Reviewing additional materials between meetings will also be required. Meetings will likely be 2.5-3 hours, depending on the agenda.
• Location: Online meetings via Zoom
• Commitment: Seven months to a year
If you would like to participate in this opportunity, but have concerns about your internet provider and data limit, please contact Cassy Mitchell at email@example.com. Otherwise, no expenses are anticipated.
Long-term care services provide 24-hour professional supervision and care in a protective, supportive environment for people who have complex care needs and can no longer be cared for in their own homes or in an assisted living residence.
Long-term care services are provided in licensed facilities to eligible people who can no longer be cared for in their own homes or in an assisted living residence and:
• have severe behavioural problems on a continuous basis;
• are cognitively impaired, ranging from moderate to severe;
• are physically dependent, with medical needs that require professional nursing care, and a planned program to retain or improve functional ability; or
• are clinically complex, with multiple disabilities and/or complex medical conditions that require professional nursing care, monitoring and/or specialized skilled care.
For further information on GPSC’s Long Term Care Initiative Task Group please refer to the groups draft terms of reference.
Engagement Leader Contact InformationCassy Mitchell
Engagement Leader, Patient and Public Engagement | Provincial