Posted • Last updated
Open to Fraser – Vancouver Coastal, Patient partners from the Lower Mainland and Fraser Valley
Have you or a loved one had surgery? Wondered about the protocols that affect recovery, and want to participate in making decisions and developing strategies to improve outcomes for surgical patients? This opportunity is for you!
Open to: Patient partners from the Lower Mainland and Fraser Valley
Lead Organization or DepartmentProvidence Health Care, Surgical Department
AimThe Enhanced Recovery After Surgery (ERAS) protocols include all aspects of surgical flow including pre-op, intra-op and post-op. The ultimate goal is to improve surgical outcome for patients including decreasing adverse events, decreasing length of hospital stay and speeding up the recovery process. Patient partners will be active partners in decision making, participate in evaluating current systems, identifying problems, developing strategies for improvements and creating educational materials.
Level of EngagementThis opportunity is at the level of involve on the spectrum of engagement (www.iap2.org). The promise to you is that the health care partner will work with you to ensure that your ideas and concerns are reflected in recommendations and provide feedback on how your input affected the decision.
- Surgical experience as a patient, family member or informal caregiver is preferred.
- Comfortable sharing patient experiences in a group setting.
- Experience working with groups.
- Patients should have previously attended a PVN orientation session and signed the Volunteer Agreement. If you have not attended an orientation but are interested, please contact the Engagement Leader directly to see if accommodations may be possible.
- Vacancies: 2
- The committee meets on the third Thursday of every month at St. Paul’s Hospital at 7:00 am. Meetings are typically up to 2 hours.
- Between meetings patients will be asked to provide feedback or work on documents exchanged via email.
- Participation on the committee will be for one year.
ReimbursementExpenses related to travel (i.e. transit, parking up to $18/day, approved mileage) to attend the session will be reimbursed by Providence Health Care.
BackgroundThere is a growing body of evidence and interest within the global surgical world to suggest that implementation of Enhanced Recovery After Surgery (ERAS) protocols has been found to optimize, enhance, and hasten recovery. Click here for more information. The Providence Health Care ERAS committee members include surgeons, anesthesiologists, nurses, physiotherapists, dietitians, pharmacists and information technologists.
Health Care Partner Contact Information
Engagement Leader, Patient and Public Engagement | Lower Mainland & Sunshine Coast