Posted • Last updated
Connection method: Virtual
Open to Provincial Region
Looking to expand your knowledge and skills about quality improvement practices in health care? Read on to learn about approximately 10 hours per month of self-directed learning from the Institute for Healthcare Improvement (IHI) Open School Basic Certificate! As part of building capacity in the Patient Voices Network, the BC Patient Safety & Quality Council is sponsoring 15 patient partners to participate in this online learning opportunity to gain essential training and tools on the topics of improvement methods, measuring change, patient safety and more!
BC Patient Safety & Quality Council (BCPSQC)
• Earning the Basic Certificate in Quality and Safety boosts your knowledge and skills, and demonstrates you’re serious about changing health care for the better
• By the end of the course, participants will build core skills in improvement, safety and leadership
Level of Engagement
This opportunity is at the level of inform on the spectrum of engagement. The promise to you is that you will be provided with balanced and objective information to assist in understanding alternatives and solutions.
• Selected patient partners will need to be PVN members. All patient partners, if you are newly oriented or have been a PVN member for years, active or hoping to reengage, are encouraged to apply
• Participants will be asked to demonstrate an interest in quality improvement in health care and how they intend to apply and share the knowledge and skills they gain from attending. Ideally you will be comfortable reading and understanding academic and research writing styles
• Must have regular access to a computer and the internet in order to complete the online learning
• Vacancies: 15
• A portion of seats will be reserved for patient partners in each region.
• Consideration will be given to patient partner diversity, so that participants reflect the population of our province.
• The IHI Open School Basic Certificate in Quality & Safety involves 13 courses, with most of them taking 90-120 minutes to complete. The courses are grouped together into separate lessons that you can complete at different times. We have heard from patient partners who have previously been registered in this program that some courses took significantly more than the time anticipated
• Your online access to this course will be from June 1, 2021 – August 31, 2021
No expenses are anticipated as course is offered online.
The IHI Open School is a global learning community, here to support you and your team in providing the best possible care.
When you engage with the Open School’s online education, local chapters, and guided improvement projects, you join more than 500,000 interprofessional learners from universities, organizations, and health systems around the world in building core skills in improvement, safety, system design, and leadership.
To receive the Basic Certificate in Quality & Safety, you must complete the 13 Open School courses on topics of:
• Introduction to health care improvement
• How to Improve with the Model for Improvement
• Testing and measuring changes with PDSA Cycles
• Interpreting data: run charts, control charts and other measurement tools
• Leading quality improvement
• Introduction to patient safety
• From error to harm
• Human factors and safety
• Teamwork and communication in a culture of safety
• Responding to adverse events
Triple Aim for Populations:
• Introduction to the Triple Aim for Populations
Person- and Family-Centred Care:
• Introduction to Person- and Family-Centred Care
• Introduction to Health Care Leadership
Health Care Partner Contact InformationLeslie Chan
Program Assistant, Patient and Public Engagement