Posted • Last updated
Open to Vancouver Island Region, Patient partners in the Greater Victoria area
Island Health is kicking off the Canadian Patient Safety Week with a panel of senior leaders, together with up to two patient partners, speaking and answering questions about patient safety in the organization. Help us “Conquer Silence”, the theme for this year’s patient safety week!
Open to: Patient partners in the Greater Victoria area
Lead Organization or DepartmentIsland Health, Quality and Patient Safety
AimThe panel will help bring awareness to patient safety week throughout the organization, and help inform staff about the overall approach to patient safety in Island Health, resources that are available, and ways to make care safer. The patient partners will help inform the conversation(s) with their thoughts and experiences as they relate to patient safety from a patient/family perspective. The patient partners will have an opportunity to give a short talk (5-7 minutes) about their lived experience as it relates to the concept of patient safety, and answer questions (along with fellow panel members) from ‘audience’ members about patient safety in the organization, the province, and the country as a whole.
Level of EngagementThis opportunity is at the level of consult on the spectrum of engagement. The promise to you is that the health care partner will listen to and acknowledge your ideas and concerns, and provide feedback on how your input affected the decision.
- Open to patient partners within 25KM of the Greater Victoria area
- Comfort sharing their personal story in front of a crowd as it relates to patient safety with an emphasis on how things can improve from a patient/family perspective
- Ability to bring an appreciative, future focused lens to the challenges of keeping patients safe in the healthcare system
- Please note:
- This opportunity is not open to patient partners who are currently employed by Island Health
- The placement process for this opportunity may include an informal interview between the volunteer and the health care partner.
- Applicants must have previously attended a PVN orientation session and completed the Volunteer Agreement. If you have not attended an orientation session but you are interested in this opportunity, please contact Ashley Clark directly to see if accommodations may be possible.
- Vacancies: 2
- Date/time: October 28, 11am - 2pm
- Location: Royal Jubilee Hospital
- Commitment: One-time
ReimbursementPre-approved transportation & parking costs to attend the event will be reimbursed by Island Health.
BackgroundThe Canadian Patient Safety Week is an annual event spearheaded by the Canadian Patient Safety Institute. This year’s theme is Conquer Silence. It is estimated that 28,000 Canadians die every year as a result of unintended harm arising from complex systemic challenges, making preventable adverse events the third leading cause of death in Canada. Bringing awareness to the public about this challenge and overcoming systemic silence about patient safety issues is the call to action of this year’s theme. See the Canadian Patient Safety Week.
Engagement Leader Contact Information
Engagement Leader, Patient & Public Engagement | Vancouver Island