Posted • Last updated
Open to Vancouver Island Region, Patient partners on Vancouver Island
Island Health Renal Services is currently creating structures and standards for patient and family engagement across the program. Help us review our Patient Engagement Framework to help support this process!
Open to: Patient partners on Vancouver Island
Lead Organization or DepartmentIsland Health Renal Services
AimOur goal is to have authentic and meaningful engagement with patients and families across the breadth of Island Health Renal Services so that person- and family-centred care becomes the foundation from which all decisions are made — from bedside to boardroom. We are looking for patient partners to review our Renal Patient Engagement Framework to ensure that it is person- and family-centred and meets the needs of patients who have accessed these services.
Level of EngagementThis opportunity is at the level of involve on the spectrum of engagement. The promise to you is that the health care partner will involve patients in planning and design phases to ensure ideas or concerns are considered and reflected in alternatives and recommendations.
- Past or current experience (personal or family) receiving care from Island Health Renal Services
- Examples: Kidney Care Clinic, Transplant, Home Hemodialysis, Home Peritoneal Dialysis, Community Hemodialysis, In-centre or Acute Hemodialysis
- Able to use a computer and understand Microsoft Word, email and internet access
- Have access to a telephone
- Please note:
- This opportunity is not open to patient partners who are currently employed by Island Health.
- The placement process for this opportunity may include an informal interview between the volunteer and the health care partner.
- Applicants must have previously attended a PVN orientation session and completed the Volunteer Agreement. If you have not attended an orientation session but you are interested in this opportunity, please contact Ashley Clark directly to see if accommodations may be possible.
- Vacancies: 2
- Date/time: Week of August 12
- Patient partners will receive a telephone call and be emailed documents for review
- Patient partners will have two weeks to review documents and provide feedback via email and/or telephone conversations (expected to take approximately 5 - 8 hours)
ReimbursementThere are no anticipated costs associated with this opportunity.
BackgroundThe Island Health 2018/19 Annual Priorities Plan identified “Improving Patient Experience” as an organizational goal to be achieved through a number of supporting strategies including 1.1.2 Advance the Patient Voices Strategy. Within Renal Services, there is currently no formalized structure or standards for patient engagement across the program, and additionally it has been identified that there is an opportunity for improvement within the current processes for measuring, evaluating, and improving patient experience within the program. Our goal is to have authentic and meaningful engagement with patients and families across the breadth of Island Health Renal Services so that person- and family-centred care becomes the foundation from which all decisions are made — from bedside to boardroom. The foundation for this will be established through implementation of:
- A Renal Patient Engagement Framework that supports and enhances meaningful patient engagement and participation at all levels of Renal Services, from point of care to program planning, development and improvement
- A systematic approach to effectively capture and understand renal patient experience, and efficiently address and identify opportunities for improvement
Health Care Partner Contact Information
Engagement Leader, Patient & Public Engagement | Vancouver Island