Connection method: Virtual
Open to Vancouver Island Region
Join us to help improve, enhance and expand virtual care services at Island Health!
Island Health, Virtual Care Services
Virtual care at Island Health enables remote patient monitoring and video visits to support our patients with many specialized services in a number of environments including in our facilities as well as in patient’s homes. We would like to invite patient partners to participate in the enhancement and expansion of virtual care services to meet the needs of Island Health residents.
Patient partners will provide feedback on current and future service delivery tools and models, participate in our strategic planning efforts, and join our virtual care steering committee meetings. There will be opportunities to assist in testing new virtual care technologies as well as providing input related to communication of virtual care services to Island Health residents.
Level of Engagement
This opportunity is at the level of involve on the spectrum of engagement (www.iap2.org). The promise to you is that the health care partner will work with you to ensure that your ideas and concerns are reflected in recommendations and provide feedback on how your input affected the decision.
• Open to patient partners from: across the Island Health region.
• Experience attending meetings on Zoom.
• Interest in providing feedback on current and future virtual care services.
• Please note:
– This opportunity, as with all Island Health patient engagement opportunities, is not open to Island Health staff members or patient partners who are currently employed by Island Health. If you have questions regarding this, please email firstname.lastname@example.org
– As connection and relationship building is important, we may like to meet with short listed patient partners as part of our selection process in an informal interview between the patient partner and the health care partner.
– Applicants must have previously attended a PVN orientation session and completed the Patient Partner Commitments form. If you have not attended an orientation session but you are interested in this opportunity, please contact Charmaine Niebergall directly to see if accommodations may be possible.
– As required by the October 14, 2021 Public Health Order released by the Provincial Health Officer, proof of vaccination is required to access any in-person meetings at a health care site. Proof of vaccination can be provided by way of a Vaccination Passport or Vaccination card, along with government issued photo ID. For patient partnership activities that are virtual only (via Zoom, video conference, phone, etc.), proof of vaccination is not required.
• Number of vacancies: 2
o Meetings are:
– held every other month
– are 90 minutes long
– held in weekday mornings at 10:30AM
o Outside of regular meetings, times may be requested to support testing / evaluation of new virtual care services applications or devices.
• Location: Virtually using Zoom but may vary depending on patient partner’s availability and access to technology/internet.
• Commitment: up to a year, with possible extension to two years
No out-of-pocket expenses are anticipated for this engagement opportunity. However, if you meet the eligibility criteria but have concerns about your ability to participate, please contact Charmaine Niebergall email@example.com to see if support options are available. We are always seeking to better understand and reduce barriers to participation.
The Virtual Care Services program at Island Health has grown rapidly over the past two years. Online video visits are now regularly used, along with virtual visits from rooms in Island Health facilities, and remote patient monitoring using devices that measure things like heart rate and blood pressure.
We are eager to identify new opportunities to support increasing access to health care in more clinical areas, through the use of virtual care.
As our most important stakeholders, we are asking you – those with lived experience – to share your thoughts with us about what we need to be considering for our existing and future virtual care services. In partnering with you, we are confident that we can support excellence in developing the processes and tools needed to deliver quality care virtually, whenever and wherever it is needed.