Posted • Last updated
Deadline: Apply by
Connection method: Virtual
Open to Provincial Region, patient partners from small town or rural/ remote
Closing date extended to October 11th, 2022
Did you know that events in pregnancy can predict risk of cardiovascular disease later in life? Join us to give a patient perspective on this important physician quality improvement project!
Department of Family Practice, Island Health, Campbell River
The purpose of this physician quality improvement project is to create a sustainable and accessible way to follow up with persons identified as having cardiovascular risk factors in pregnancy. Patient partners will be part of this project team and will:
• Engage in monthly, 1 hour long meetings to share their ideas, experiences, and feedback.
• Communicate as needed by email with the project team to answer questions and coordinate meetings.
Level of Engagement
This opportunity is at the level of collaborate on the spectrum of engagement. The promise to you is that the health care partner will work together with you to formulate solutions and incorporate your advice and recommendations into the decisions to the maximum extent possible.
• Open to patient partners from: Province of BC.
• Live in a rural or remote area of the province of BC.
• Have given birth.
• Have lived experience with cardiovascular disease, but this is not a requirement.
• Are comfortable sharing their health care journey, ideas and feedback with health care partners in ongoing meetings.
• Please note:
– This opportunity, as with all Island Health patient engagement opportunities, is not open to Island Health staff members or patient partners who are currently employed by Island Health. If you have questions regarding this, please email email@example.com
– The placement process for this opportunity may include an informal interview between the volunteer and the health care partner.
– Applicants must have previously attended a PVN orientation session and completed the Patient Partner Commitments form. If you have not attended an orientation session but you are interested in this opportunity, please contact Charmaine Niebergall directly to see if accommodations may be possible.
– As required by the October 14, 2021 Public Health Order released by the Provincial Health Officer, proof of vaccination is required to access any in-person meetings at an Island Health site. Proof of vaccination can be provided by way of a Vaccination Passport or Vaccination card, along with government issued photo ID. For patient partnership activities that are virtual only (via Zoom, video conference, phone, etc.), proof of vaccination is not required.
• Number of vacancies: 2
– Monthly 1 hour meeting, beginning in the fall of 2022, times are to be determined.
– Additional time for answering emails will also be required
• Location: Virtual using Zoom
• Commitment: 6 – 8 meetings until summer 2023.
No out-of-pocket expenses are anticipated for this engagement opportunity. However, if you meet the eligibility criteria but have concerns about your ability to participate, please contact Charmaine Niebergall firstname.lastname@example.org to see if support options are available. We are always seeking to better understand and reduce barriers to participation.
Pregnancy is a “stress test” on the body. Adverse pregnancy outcomes (such as gestational hypertension, pre-eclampsia, HELLP, gestational diabetes, idiopathic preterm birth, placental abruption, IUGR and still birth) are increasingly recognized as clinically significant predictors of cardiovascular disease layer in life. This is a physician quality improvement project with a project team that includes physicians, nurses, patient partners and a midwife. There is a risk that being part of this project might bring up uncomfortable feelings about care received in the past. This is an extremely caring group who will do their best to be supportive and compassionate. We strive to be culturally safe and trauma informed with the goal of working in partnership with patients and community providers. The patient partners will be full members of this collaborative team, including being part of all email communications, meetings and any presentations.