Posted • Last updated
Connection method: Virtual
Open to Vancouver Island Region
Help improve surgical services on Vancouver Island! The Surgery Program Quality Council wants to work with patient partners in the development of a person- and family-centred surgery program.
Surgical Quality, Island Health
The Surgery Program Quality Council strives to ensure high quality, standardized and equitable care for all patients wherever they live within the Island Health region. We are committed to the development of a high quality program and understand that the patient and family experience of care is crucial in achieving this goal.
Patient partners will be part of the council meetings held every 6 weeks to help ensure that patients inform improvements to policies and procedures through sharing their lived experience of surgical care.
Level of Engagement
This opportunity is at the level of collaborate on the spectrum of engagement. The promise to you is that the health care partner will work together with you to formulate solutions and incorporate your advice and recommendations into the decisions to the maximum extent possible.
• Recent, lived experience of being a patient or family caregiver to a surgical patient in Island Health
• Comfortable using Zoom for virtual meetings.
• Please note:
– This opportunity, as with all Island Health patient engagement opportunities, is not open to Island Health staff members or patient partners who are currently employed by Island Health. If you have questions regarding this, please email email@example.com
– The placement process for this opportunity may include an informal interview between the volunteer and the health care partner.
– Applicants must have previously attended a PVN orientation session and completed the Volunteer Agreement. If you have not attended an orientation session but you are interested in this opportunity, please contact Charmaine Niebergall directly to see if accommodations may be possible.
• Number of vacancies: 1
• Date/Time: meetings are every six weeks – Friday morning (7:00am-8:00am)
• Location: Virtually using Zoom
• Commitment: up to 1 -2 years
No out-of-pocket expenses are anticipated for this engagement opportunity. However, if you meet the eligibility criteria but have concerns about your ability to participate, please contact Charmaine Niebergall firstname.lastname@example.org to see if support options are available. We are always seeking to better understand and reduce barriers to participation.
The Surgery Program Quality Council will be providing a governance structure to surgical services across Island Health. Programs include, but are not limited to; Orthopaedics, General Surgery, Urology, Neurology, Gynaecology, Plastic Surgery, ENT, Vascular, Thoracic, Ophthalmology and Anesthesia. They are committed to the development of a high quality program and understand that the patient and family experience of care is crucial in achieving this goal.
The Surgical Quality Council is responsible to set and ensure consistent standards and processes exist to support high quality care for patients within the surgery portfolio. This includes understanding and learning from patient safety events and feedback from our patients and clients. Other Surgery Program Quality Council members will include; nurses, allied health professionals (i.e. Pharmacists), physicians, managers, directors, and other supports such as surgery quality consultants.
Engagement Leader Contact InformationCharmaine Niebergall
Engagement Leader, Patient & Public Engagement | Vancouver Island