Deadline: Apply by
Connection methods: Virtual, In-person
Open to Vancouver Island Region, across the Comox Valley (Comox, Courtenay, Cumberland and surrounding rural areas), including Denman Island and Hornby Island
Join the Island Health Comox Valley Urgent and Primary Care working group to share your thoughts and ideas on how an Urgent and Primary Care Centre (UPCC) can best serve patients in the Comox Valley.
Island Health, Comox Valley Primary Care Network
Patient Partners will attend regular meetings with a diverse group of primary care providers and Island Health project managers and decision makers to design how a UPCC in the Comox Valley will provide urgent and primary care. This will include what services could be accessed at the centre, how these services would be accessed, how the centre can feel safe and welcoming for all people, and how the services can maintain and improve health. Patient partners from diverse backgrounds and experiences are welcome.
Level of Engagement
This opportunity is at the level of involve on the spectrum of engagement. The promise to you is that the health care partner will involve patients in planning and design phases to ensure ideas or concerns are considered and reflected in alternatives and recommendations.
• Open to patient partners from: from the Comox Valley (Comox, Courtenay, Cumberland and surrounding rural areas), including Denman Island and Hornby Island.
• Experience (personal or family) with receiving primary care.
• An interest in the development of an urgent primary care centre.
• Please note:
– This opportunity is not open to staff members or patient partners who are currently employed by this health authority.
– As connection and relationship building is important, we may like to meet with short listed patient partners as part of our selection process in an informal interview between the patient partner and the health care partner.
– Applicants must have previously attended a PVN orientation session and completed the Patient Partner Commitments form. If you have not attended an orientation session but you are interested in this opportunity, please contact Charmaine Niebergall directly to see if accommodations may be possible.
– As required by the October 14, 2021 Public Health Order released by the Provincial Health Officer, proof of vaccination is required to access any in-person meetings at a health care site. Proof of vaccination can be provided by way of a Vaccination Passport or Vaccination card, along with government issued photo ID. For patient partnership activities that are virtual only (via Zoom, video conference, phone, etc.), proof of vaccination is not required.
• Number of vacancies: 2
• Date/Time: TBD
• Location: Virtually using Zoom, some meetings possibly in person.
– Regular meetings (1 or 2 times per month)
– Meetings are approximately 2 hours
– Commitment is 7 months to a year.
No out-of-pocket expenses are anticipated for this engagement opportunity. However, if you meet the eligibility criteria but have concerns about your ability to participate, please contact Charmaine Niebergall firstname.lastname@example.org to see if support options are available. We are always seeking to better understand and reduce barriers to participation.
Island Health is in the planning stages for an Urgent and Primary Care Centre (UPCC) for the Comox Valley. UPCCs are intended to improve primary care access for all. The leadership of these facilities is looking for input from a broad variety of persons living and working in the Comox Valley regarding their primary care needs and priorities.