Posted • Last updated
Deadline: Open until filled
Open to Vancouver Island Region, Patient partners in the Greater Victoria area
Kick off the New Year with an exciting opportunity to improve the quality of care at your local hospital. The Victoria General Hospital (VHG) is seeking two dynamic patient representatives who share in their passion to make VGH the best place to receive care!
Open to: Patient partners in the Greater Victoria area
Lead Organization or DepartmentClinical Operations, Victoria General Hospital, Island Health
AimThe Management Team provides leadership in the identification and timely resolution of issues that impact clinical operations at Victoria General Hospital. It also focuses on development of long-term strategic plans to address significant issues affecting the quality of inpatient care at VGH. The Management Team’s monthly, in-person meeting provides a forum for senior managers to develop innovative, long-term plans to tackle issues affecting the care of patients. Patient and family representatives are invited to actively participate in these planning meetings, helping to ensure that the team’s strategic priorities and plans are informed by patients and positively impact the overall patient and family experience of care.
Level of EngagementThis opportunity is at the level of involve on the spectrum of engagement (www.iap2.org). The promise to you is that the health care partner will work with you to ensure that your ideas and concerns are reflected in recommendations and provide feedback on how your input affected the decision.
- Patients or family partners who have experience with the Victoria General Hospital.
- Comfortable participating in lively discussions and exploring novel ideas as part of a group.
- Comfortable sharing lived experiences in a group setting for the purposes of quality improvement.
- Volunteer or professional experience in strategic planning, management, or program development would be an asset.
- Willing to travel to meetings at Victoria General Hospital (allowances may be made for those who are unable to travel).
- Previously attended a PVN orientation session and completed the Volunteer Agreement. If you have not attended an orientation session but you are interested in this opportunity, please contact Leah Smith directly to see if accommodations may be possible.
- The placement process for this opportunity may include an informal interview between the volunteer and the health care partner.
- Vacancies: 1-2
- Date and time: Meetings are held every two weeks,routinely scheduled for Fridays, and can range in length from 2 to 4 hours, often between 11am - 3pm.
- Location: In-person, boardroom, Victoria General Hospital
- Term: 2 years.
- Meeting materials will be provided in advance of meetings where possible, however, information will routinely be presented in an informal, verbal presentation and followed by discussion.
- Mileage and parking will be reimbursed, as well as approved transit (e.g. bus fare).
- A meal per diem will be available if the meeting is scheduled between noon and 1 pm.
BackgroundThe Management Team is responsible for the clinical operations of the Medical, Surgery, Rehabilitation and Emergency Departments at the Victoria General Hospital. The team consists of the senior managers of these service areas who are committed to identifying hospital-level barriers to providing the best patient care possible. It explores innovative ideas and uses data related to hospital performance and patient experience of care to determine where action may be required to address significant issues affecting the quality of in-patient care. The team is involved in many transformative initiatives to improve the patient and family care experience of care and focuses or matters such as patient access and flow, patient safety, and staff experience. Recognizing that quality improvement takes time, the Team is also focused on development and implementation of long-term strategic plans.
Health Care Partner Contact Information
Engagement Leader, Patient and Public Engagement | Southern Vancouver Island
This opportunity will be open until it is filled.