Posted • Last updated
Open to Fraser – Vancouver Coastal, Patient partners in Fraser Health communities
With little time to plan, seniors and their families are often faced with a difficult decision to access residential care. The importance of highlighting care that is at the right time and place and tailored to meet the needs of seniors and their families is the goal of a Fraser Health video project that is seeking two patient advisors to join their team.
Open to: Patient partners in Fraser Health communities
Lead Organization or DepartmentResidential Care, Fraser Health
AimThis project aims to educate the public on what to expect when they are accessing residential care services. Patient advisors are team members, providing their lived experience with residential care and ensuring that the video messages demystify the process for seniors and their families.
Level of EngagementThis opportunity is at the level of collaborate on the spectrum of engagement. The promise to you is that the health care partner will work together with you to formulate solutions and incorporate your advice and recommendations into the decisions to the maximum extent possible.
EligibilityOpen to patient partner from Fraser Health communities who:
- Have specific knowledge of residential care, preferably as a resident and/or family member who has supported someone through this process
- Are comfortable sharing their story
- Have strong team work stills
LogisticsVacancies: 2 Date/Time: To be determined, based on availability of team members Location: A mix of teleconference and in-person meetings (TBD). Possibilities include Burnaby, Surrey (Central City), New Westminster or Coquitlam. Commitment: Monthly meetings (two hours long), with occasional emails
ReimbursementPre-approved expenses related to local travel to in-person meetings will be reimbursed (including mileage, parking, tolls and/or public transit).
BackgroundThis project aims to help educate the public about how to navigate this transition through a video series that demystifies the process. In this video series, the public will learn about:
- the overall process of entering care homes, including the principle of “the right care, at the right time, in the right place”;
- how people consider which care homes best meet their unique needs;
- what to expect during the moving-in period, the positive home-like environment of care homes, the care philosophy of the people working in care homes;
- how the trajectory of chronic diseases impacts patients in care homes; and
- what kinds of care can be provided within a care home.
Engagement Leader Contact Information
Engagement Leader, Patient and Public Engagement | Fraser Valley