Posted • Last updated
Open to Vancouver Island Region, Patient partners across the Island Health region
Island Health is expanding access to primary care by developing Urgent and Primary Care Centres. Will you be accessing these sites? Join us to have your voice heard in the design process and to ensure we are developing the appropriate services for the community!
Open to: Patient partners across the Island Health region
Lead Organization or DepartmentIsland Health, Primary and Community Care
AimOur goal is to provide patients in Victoria with improved access to primary care. The primary care system encompasses family doctors in the community as well as clinics run by the health authority. As we are creating new solutions, we would like to have patients’ voices and suggestions at the table. It is important to us to have the voice of the service users alongside the service providers. The patient partner will be a collaborating member of the development and implementation team.
Level of EngagementThis opportunity is at the level of collaborate on the spectrum of engagement. The promise to you is that the health care partner will work together with you to formulate solutions and incorporate your advice and recommendations into the decisions to the maximum extent possible.
Eligibility• Open to patient partners from the Greater Victoria area • Experience (personal or family) with the primary care system • Comfort working with senior executives/physician leadership at the table • Please note:
- This opportunity is not open to patient partners who are currently employed by Island Health
- The placement process for this opportunity may include an informal interview between the volunteer and the health care partner.
- Applicants must have previously attended a PVN orientation session and completed the Volunteer Agreement. If you have not attended an orientation session but you are interested in this opportunity, please contact Ashley Clark directly to see if accommodations may be possible.
Logistics• Number of vacancies: 2-4 • Date/Time: 1 hour meetings, twice a week
- Meetings take place during business hours, 8 – 5 Monday to Friday
- Currently scheduled for Mondays 4-5pm and Wednesdays 12-1pm by teleconference
- Exact date/time could shift based on patient partner availability
- To attend at least one of the 2 meetings per week for 6 months – 1 year
- Opportunities to continue on leadership committee after implementation
ReimbursementPre-approved transportation & parking costs to attend meetings will be reimbursed by Island Health.
BackgroundThe Ministry of Health has mandated Island Health work on expanding primary care access in the Greater Victoria area. We will be looking to engage as many community partners as possible. The focus is entirely on Primary and Community care with a sub focus on vulnerable populations (eg. Mental health and substance use and frail elderly).
Health Care Partner Contact Information
Engagement Leader, Patient & Public Engagement | Vancouver Island