Posted • Last updated
Open to Provincial Region, Patient partners across the province
Are you interested in helping Providence Health expand our existing successful Code H program? Help us bring this tool, which lets patients and families call a Code H if they want to bring up a concern, to cardiac units at St. Paul’s Hospital.
Open to: Patient partners across the province
Lead Organization or DepartmentProvidence Health Care - Professional Practice
AimCode H (help) is a patient- and family-centred initiative at Providence Health Care, where patients or their family can call a Code H if they are confused or concerned about the treatment plan, if there is something about their medical care that is not being addressed, or if they feel a matter is not getting the attention needed. This program has been available on certain units for a few years now, with positive reviews, so now we are expanding our Code H program to include our cardiac units. We are looking for a patient partner who is interested in sharing their insights and opinion on Code H educational materials being created as part of this expansion, e.g. posters, leaflets and newsletter articles.
Level of EngagementThis opportunity is at the level of involve on the spectrum of engagement . The promise to you is that the health care partner will involve patients in planning and design phases to ensure ideas or concerns are considered and reflected in alternatives and recommendations.
- Experience receiving care at Providence Health Care facilities preferred, but not required
- Access to email and familiarity with group email threads / communication.
- Familiarity with reviewing education materials in digital form (word or PDF).
- Comfort in sharing your insights and experiences, relevant to this initiative.
- Vacancies: 2
- You would be asked to attend about 2 or 3 meetings (30-60 mins each) during business hours, and be available by email and phone to review the educational materials with our team.
- Meetings will be held either at St. Paul's Hospital or at Providence Health Care's offices on Hornby Street in Vancouver. Participation via teleconference will be made available.
- Project is anticipated to run from early June through to end of July.
ReimbursementExpenses related to travel (i.e. transit, parking up to $18/day, and approved mileage) will be reimbursed by the health care partner. Please note that it may take 4-6 weeks to process expenses.
BackgroundCode H has been a successful initiative on various units at St. Paul's Hospital, and the cardiac team is keen to expand this program to include their patients and families. When a Code H is called, a Clinical Resource Nurse (CRN) responds directly to the patient or family member who made the call. The CRN will talk with the patient, the family and the care team to best understand what needs exist, and then will work collaboratively with all involved to address concern. This expansion is specific to the cardiac units at St. Paul's Hospital. Working on this initiative are two Practice Consultants from PHC Professional Practice, Nurse Educators from the Cardiac Program, a Nurse Educator with the Care Experience team, and support from the communications department, the cardiac physician leads, and PHC Senior Leadership.
Health Care Partner Contact Information
Engagement Leader, Patient and Public Engagement | Lower Mainland & Sunshine Coast