Posted • Last updated
Open to Vancouver Island Region, Patient partners from Greater Victoria, Saanich Peninsula, Gulf Islands, Cowichan, Duncan, or Nanaimo.
Island Health is hosting a series of 3 leadership development sessions for leaders across the organization in 2018/2019. Patient partners are needed to ensure the voice of patient and family experience is part of the dialogue. This a great opportunity to contribute to the learning and development of leadership employees at Island Health as well as develop your own leadership skills!
Open to: Patient partners from Greater Victoria, Saanich Peninsula, Gulf Islands, Cowichan, Duncan, or Nanaimo.
Lead Organization or DepartmentIsland Health, Patient Experience
AimIsland Health is hosting a series of three leadership development sessions for leaders across the organization (including local leaders and executive leadership). The goal of the Leader Forum series is to provide development to our leaders, so they can continually improve the experience of both our patients and our staff. We also aim to provide opportunities for our leaders to connect (in person), build relationships, and learn from each other. The three Leader Forum events will be followed by a final "Leadership U" session in Spring 2019. The intent of Leadership U is to reinforce and build on existing knowledge and support future planning. Island Health is looking for patient partners to be part of this educational series to bring the voice of patient and family experience into the dialogue. Patient participation promotes a patient- and family-centred approach to care and leadership within Island Health. Being part of this event will also provide an opportunity for patient partners to learn alongside our leadership employees, exploring researched and innovative ways to promote and support excellent care for patients and their family members. In addition, one or two Patient Partners who have participated in Leader Forums throughout the year, may be invited to speak at Leadership U about how participating in the Leader Forum sessions has personally impacted them over the past year. Island Health hopes to have 2-3 patient partners at each Leader Forum event and welcome all participating patient partners to join the Leadership U in Spring 2019.
Level of EngagementThis opportunity is at the level of involve on the spectrum of engagement. The promise to you is that the health care partner will work with you to ensure that your ideas and concerns are reflected in recommendations and provide feedback on how your input affected the decision.
- Open to patient partners living in the communities of: Greater Victoria, Saanich Peninsula, Gulf Islands, Cowichan, Duncan, or Nanaimo.
- Experience (personal or family) receiving care from Island Health
- Interest in learning alongside leadership employees
- Comfortable learning in large groups and collaboratively working/listening/sharing in small groups.
- Intention to attend all three Leader Forum sessions, in-person, throughout the year. The dates of these sessions will be confirmed in September 2018.
- Please note:
- This opportunity is not open to patient partners who are currently employed by Island Health
- The placement process for this opportunity may include an informal interview between the volunteer and the health care partner.
LogisticsVacancies: 7 Date/Time: Leader Forums will take place three times per year (3 sessions x 6 hours each, plus travel time), to be scheduled between October 2018 and April/May 2019. Leadership U will be scheduled in May 2019. Location: Patient Partners are needed at each of these four locations:
- Victoria General Hospital (patient partner to attend all 3 events here)
- Royal Jubilee Hospital (patient partner to attend all 3 events here)
- Nanaimo Regional General Hospital (patient partner to attend all 3 events here)
- Geography 3 (patient partner asked to attend 1 event at each of the 3 following sites:
- Saanich Peninsula Hospital (Saanich Peninsula)
- Lady Minto Hospital (Salt Spring Island)
- Cowichan District Hospital (Duncan) FYI: There are also Leadership Forums in North Island, but they have a full compliment of Patient Partners for the year.
ReimbursementTransportation & parking costs to attend the Leader Forums and Leadership U will be reimbursed by Island Health’s Patient Experience department. Leadership U may require overnight accommodation, which will also be reimbursed.
BackgroundThe Leader Forum sessions and Leadership U have been created to support developing Island Health leaders with the goal of elevating the experience of both our patients and our people. The sessions are for those in management level roles (all the way up to the executive team). In 2017/18, we had 1-2 patient partners participate in each Leader Forum session throughout the Island. This year, we are expanding our recruitment of patient partners to 2-3 in each session. We are also aiming to continuously improve the experience of patient partners that participate in these sessions, based on their feedback provided each year.
Engagement Leader Contact Information
Engagement Leader, Patient & Public Engagement | Vancouver Island