Posted • Last updated
Open to Fraser – Vancouver Coastal, Patient partners in the Fraser area with interest in or experience with rehabilitation services.
Optimizing a patient’s ability to make informed decisions is a critical piece of any patient’s journey towards better health. Fraser Health Rehabilitation is developing a self-management support project with the goal of increasing patients’ self-care post-surgery and would like to include the patient voice in the design of this project through participation in a pilot workshop.
Open to: Patient partners in the Fraser area with interest in or experience with rehabilitation services.
Lead Organization or DepartmentFraser Health Rehabilitation Department
- Ensure patient partners' concerns and aspirations influence and shape the workshop approach;
- Integrate patient partners as co-designers of the workshop;
- Development a partnership-focused approach between the rehabilitation team and patient partners.
Level of EngagementThis opportunity is at the level of involve on the spectrum of engagement (www.iap2.org). The promise to you is that the health care partner will involve patients in planning and design phases to ensure ideas or concerns are considered and reflected in alternatives and recommendations.
EligibilityThis invitation is being extended to volunteers in the Fraser area who:
- Are interested in rehabilitation services.
- Have experience with receiving rehabilitation services with Fraser Health (e.g. having received PT, OT, or SLP service on an acute unit, previous admission to a rehabilitation unit, or previous admission to one of our outpatient rehabilitation clinics).
- Preferably diagnosed with a condition that is highly sensitive to rehabilitation (e.g. stroke, brain injury, amputation, Parkinson’s disease, multiple sclerosis, inflammatory arthritis, hip fracture, elective hip/knee replacement, spinal cord injury).
- Vacancies: 2
- Date/Time: The workshop will take place over 3 sessions: May 25 from 9:30-4:30, June 8 from 9:30-12:30, July 11 from 12:30-4:30
- Location: Queen’s Park Centre, New Westminster
ReimbursementPreapproved expenses related to travel to in-person meetings will be reimbursed according to the Fraser Health travel policy (including mileage, parking, tolls and/or public transit).
BackgroundFraser Health Rehabilitation Services is initiating a self-management support project. Its primary goal is to increase Rehabilitation staff awareness, confidence and skills in the application of self-management support. The hope is to optimize patients’ ability to make informed decisions to support their functional participation in life roles. Patient input will ensure that patient concerns and aspirations influence and shape the approach. This will improve Rehabilitation staff confidence and skills in the application of self-management support strategies. We will be piloting this workshop for a small focus group (<15) which will consist of frontline rehabilitation clinicians, rehabilitation leaders (e.g. managers, clinical supervisors, directors, executive director) and patient partners. Key learning from the focus group participants will inform the team in regards to the content, strategy and outcomes of the workshop. Collaborative planning with participants for the next workshop would be part of the pilot.
Engagement Leader Contact Information
Engagement Leader, Patient and Public Engagement | Fraser Valley