Posted • Last updated
Open to Vancouver Island Region, Patient partners in the Island Health region
The Quality Operations Council brings together the co-chairs of Island Health’s quality councils to discuss and make decisions about the quality of care provided. If you are a thoughtful communicator who is willing to use your lived-experience to contribute to a council focused on quality improvement – this may be the opportunity you’ve been waiting for!
Open to: Patient partners in the Island Health region
Lead Organization or DepartmentQuality, Safety and Improvement, Island Health
AimPatient partners will be invited to draw upon their experience(s) of care and community knowledge to contribute to decision-focused discussions at monthly meetings. This will assist the Quality Operations Council to better understand and consider the perspectives of patients, families, and communities, and to ensure that their priorities are reflected in the Council’s decisions.
Level of EngagementThis opportunity is at the level of involve on the spectrum of engagement (www.iap2.org). The promise to you is that the health care partner will involve patients in planning and design phases to ensure ideas or concerns are considered and reflected in alternatives and recommendations.
- Have experience of health services within Island Health (as a patient, family-member or informal caregiver) and live in:
- Geography 1: Campbell River, Comox, Courtenay, Mt. Waddington, Strathcona
- Geography 2: Port Alberni, West Coast, Nanaimo, Oceanside
- Geography 3: Cowichan Valley, Saanich, Gulf Islands - see full map of geographies
- Comfortable sharing lived-experiences in a group setting for the purposes of learning and quality improvement;
- A skilled listener who is respectful of a broad range of views;
- Availability to attend meetings via video conference or in person at an Island Health location
- Previously attended a PVN orientation session and completed the Volunteer Agreement. If you have not attended an orientation session but you are interested in this opportunity, please contact Leah Smith directly to see if accommodations may be possible.
- The placement process for this opportunity may include an informal interview between the patient partner and the health care partner.
- Previous experience as part of committee or quality improvement project
- Links to other agencies, networks or communities to inform a broad perspective
- Vacancies: 3
- Date and time: 2nd Wednesday of every month from 7:30 am – 9:20am.
- Location: The co-chairs lead the meeting from the Royal Jubilee Hospital in Victoria and connect via videoconference to various Island Health sites. Patient partners outside of Greater Victoria attend the meeting via videoconference from one of the following Island Health sites: Royal Jubilee Hospital, Victoria General Hospital, Saanich Peninsula Hospital, Comorant Island Community Health Centre, Port Hardy Hospital, Cowichan District Hospital, Nanaimo Regional General Hospital, West Coast General Hospital, Campbell River Hospital, Comox Hospital
- Commitment: In addition to attendance at the monthly meetings, patient partners will be provided with meeting materials within the meeting invitations in advance of each meeting. Review of materials will take between 1 to 2 hours.
- Term: 1 year with the possibility of extension
ReimbursementPre-approved out-of-pocket expenses such as mileage, parking and public transit will be reimbursed.
BackgroundThe Island Health Quality Operations Council provides leadership, oversight and evaluation of quality matters with a focus on:
- commitment to high standards of care,
- clear and transparent accountability for those standards, and
- a dynamic of continuous quality improvement
Health Care Partner Contact Information
Engagement Leader, Patient and Public Engagement | Southern Vancouver Island