Posted • Last updated
Open to Interior Region, Patient partners in Penticton or surrounding areas
Interior Health Mental Health & Substance Use Services recognize the profound impact that trauma may have had on many of the people who access our programs. As a patient partner, your voice and lived experience is essential in making our spaces feel safe and inviting. We are seeking two patient partners to join us as we transform our waiting room into a welcoming, accepting and calming space for everyone.
Open to: Patient partners in Penticton or surrounding areas
Lead Organization or DepartmentInterior Health – Mental Health & Substance Use, Penticton
- To create a welcoming, safe and inviting waiting room space in Penticton Mental Health & Substance Use
- Patient partners will participate in a tour and assessment process, and offer their perspectives and suggestions on how to change the décor of the waiting room
Level of EngagementThis opportunity is at the level of collaborate on the spectrum of engagement. The promise to you is that the health care partner will work together with you to formulate solutions and incorporate your advice and recommendations into the decisions to the maximum extent possible.
Eligibility• Utilize Penticton Mental Health & Substance Use services, or who have in the past • Are willing to share thoughts as to how the waiting room may affect people with trauma histories (this may come from personal experience) • Are comfortable working in a group If you have a strong interest in this work but have not yet completed a PVN orientation and volunteer agreement, are unsure if your experience is a good fit or feel another format of engagement would work better with your availability, please contact the engagement leader directly.
- Vacancies: 2
- Date and time: Date and time will be discussed after confirmation
- Location: Penticton Health Centre, 3rd floor. 740 Carmi Avenue.
- Commitment: 1.5 hours, every other month, for up to 6 months
ReimbursementPatient partner reimbursement follows the Interior Health Staff travel policy. Patients will receive out of pocket expenses for travel (mileage further than 50 Km), parking, or local public transit. Out-of-pocket expenses take up to six weeks for reimbursement to occur, once the form as been completed and receipts received.
BackgroundInterior Health Mental Health and Substance Use acknowledge that physical spaces must meet the needs of those who've experienced trauma and adverse childhood effects. For example, looking at the space with the questions:
- Is this physical space adding additional stress to an already overwhelmed individual?
- How is the space promoting psychological as well as physical safety?
- Are there opportunities in this space to promote wellness and regulation?
Health Care Partner Contact Information
Engagement Leader, Patient and Public Engagement | Fraser Valley