Posted • Last updated
Open to Vancouver Island Region, Patient partners in the Saanich Peninsula region
The South Island Primary Care Network (PCN) Physician Leadership & Engagement Committee is a joint working group for both the Western communities and the Saanich Peninsula. Join us in facilitating effective exchange of information and ideas, and to promote collaborative solution finding between South Island Division of Family Practice & Island Health PCN leadership, staff and family physicians.
Open to: Patient partners in the Saanich Peninsula region
Lead Organization or DepartmentSouth Island Division of Family Practice
AimThis committee will make recommendations to form specific working groups, discuss the development of new or refinement of existing physician compensation models, and consider models of care and their implications for physician practice. The role of the patient partner in the South Island Primary Care Networks Physician Leadership & Engagement Committee is to provide the patient perspective – specific to their experiences of primary health care on the Saanich Peninsula - to ensure that the Primary Care Network reflects a person-centred approach that will meet the needs of community members.
Level of EngagementThis opportunity is at the level of collaborate on the spectrum of engagement. The promise to you is that the health care partner will work together with you to formulate solutions and incorporate your advice and recommendations into the decisions to the maximum extent possible.
- Previous experience with the primary health care system on the Saanich Peninsula
- Previous committee experience
- Comfortable speaking in a large group setting (15+ people)
- Committee experience and/or comfort working in large groups made up of a variety of stakeholders
- Comfortable sharing stories on how to enhance the patient experience
- Please note:
- The placement process for this opportunity may include an informal interview between the volunteer and the health care partner.
- Applicants must have previously attended a PVN orientation session and completed the Volunteer Agreement. If you have not attended an orientation session but you are interested in this opportunity, please contact Ashley Clark directly to see if accommodations may be possible.
- Vacancies: 1
- Date/time: Monthly until the end of 2019, quarterly thereafter with committee approval
- Meetings take place during the evening (5:30pm - 8:00pm) with dinner provided
- Location: Saanich Commonwealth Place
- Commitment: 7 months - 1 year
ReimbursementPre-approved parking costs to attend meetings will be reimbursed by South Island Division of Family Practice.
BackgroundDespite initiatives over the past several years to improve primary care in BC, there is still a large number of patients in the province who do not have appropriate access to primary care services. Announced in Spring 2018, the Government of BC’s Primary and Community Care Strategy is focused on improving the everyday health care services that British Columbians rely on. Through interdisciplinary team-based care, the Ministry of Health (the Ministry) will fund and recruit more health care professionals into the health system and ensure patients are at the centre of health care delivery. The strategy includes, where feasible, interdisciplinary team-based family practices and primary care clinics for patients located throughout the province, where physicians and nurse practitioners work alongside other health professionals to provide complete care to patients. These practices and clinics – called medical homes – will work as part of a larger geographical Primary Care Network (PCN) – connecting with other clinics, health authority (HA) services (such as public health clinics, mental health and substance use services and community services) to make sure that patients have seamless access to all the care that they need. It is important to note that in some regions the interdisciplinary teams may not be co-located, and delivery models may be adapted accordingly. The South Island Primary Care Network Physician Leadership & Engagement Committee is primarily made up of physicians from the Saanich Peninsula and the Western Communities, the Executive Director and PCN Project Directors from the SIDFP, and the IH Geographic Area 3 and 4 Directors. Terms of Reference are currently being developed. https://www.divisionsbc.ca/south-island
Engagement Leader Contact Information
Engagement Leader, Patient & Public Engagement | Vancouver Island