Posted • Last updated
Connection method: Virtual
Open to Vancouver Island Region
If you are a patient or family caregiver who is interested in improving patient care and the health care experience, please join our Medicine Quality Council!
Medicine Quality, Island Health
The Medicine Quality Council aims to ensure that all patients receive high quality care wherever they live within the Island Health region. Understanding the patient and family experience of care is crucial in achieving this goal. Patient partners are invited to monthly meetings. They are encouraged to share their experiences of care and provide feedback on the topics discussed at each meeting.
Level of Engagement
This opportunity is at the level of collaborate on the spectrum of engagement. The promise to you is that the health care partner will work together with you to formulate solutions and incorporate your advice and recommendations into the decisions to the maximum extent possible.
• Patients, family members, or informal caregivers who have experience in the medical inpatient or outpatient areas at Island Health.
• Comfort in participating in committee and working group settings, including sharing lived experiences in a group setting for the purposes of quality improvement.
• Able to take part in meetings by Zoom.
• Please note:
– This opportunity, as with all Island Health patient engagement opportunities, is not open to Island Health staff members or patient partners who are currently employed by Island Health. If you have questions regarding this, please email email@example.com
– The placement process for this opportunity may include an informal interview between the volunteer and the health care partner.
– Applicants must have previously attended a PVN orientation session and completed the Volunteer Agreement. If you have not attended an orientation session but you are interested in this opportunity, please contact Charmaine Niebergall directly to see if accommodations may be possible.
• Number of vacancies: 1-2
• Date and Time: Meetings are usually held monthly from 7:30am – 9:00am
• Location: Virtually using Zoom
• Term: 1 year with the option of renewal.
• Time Commitment:
– Attendance at a monthly meeting
– Meetings will be approximately 1.5 hours long
– Meeting materials will be provided prior to each meeting and should be reviewed in advance in order to contribute to the facilitated, decision-focused discussions
– Additional time commitments include approximately 1 hour to review meeting materials
No out-of-pocket expenses are anticipated for this engagement opportunity. However, if you meet the eligibility criteria but have concerns about your ability to participate, please contact Charmaine Niebergall firstname.lastname@example.org to see if support options are available. We are always seeking to better understand and reduce barriers to participation.
The Medicine Quality Council provides quality leadership for medical inpatient and outpatient services across Island Health. Programs include Internal Medicine, Gastroenterology, Rheumatology, Dermatology, Respirology, and Infectious Disease. The Medicine Quality Council sets standards and creates processes to support high quality patient care. This includes understanding and learning from patient safety events and feedback from our patients and clients. Medicine Quality Council members include specialist physicians, managers, front-line leaders, clinicians and patient partners.
More information about Island Health’s quality councils or ‘Quality Structures’ is available here: https://www.islandhealth.ca/about-us/accountability/quality-care/quality-island-health
Health Care Partner Contact InformationCharmaine Niebergall
Engagement Leader, Patient & Public Engagement | Vancouver Island