Posted • Last updated
Open to Fraser – Vancouver Coastal, Patient partners in the Lower Mainland/Fraser area
Preventing medication errors involves having sound policies that guide safe clinical practices. The Fraser Health professional practice team is seeking two to three patient partners to join their medication administration record clinical policy working group as they seek to evaluate current practices across Fraser Health hospitals.
Open to: Patient partners in the Lower Mainland/Fraser area
Lead Organization or DepartmentProfessional Practice, Fraser Health
- To evaluate the understanding and application of the medication record clinical policy, specifically to nursing workflow and its emphasis on improving patient safety.
- The patient advisor will partner with the team during site visits, observations, interviews and chart reviews.
Level of EngagementThis opportunity is at the level of involve on the spectrum of engagement. The promise to you is that the health care partner will involve patients in planning and design phases to ensure ideas or concerns are considered and reflected in alternatives and recommendations.
EligibilityOpen to patient partners in the Lower Mainland/Fraser area who:
- Have had experience with Fraser Health hospitals, either as a patient, family member or caregiver;
- Are keen on evaluation; and
- Like working in partnership with health care teams.
- Considered an asset if you have experienced a medication error.
- Number of vacancies: 2-3
- Date/time: Date and time to be determined in consultation with patient partners
- Location: Up to three hospital sites (Abbotsford, Royal Columbian & Surrey) between April-June (spring 2020)
- Commitment: Six months, with periodic emails, documents to review
ReimbursementPreapproved expenses related to travel to in-person meetings will be reimbursed according to the Fraser Health travel policy (including mileage, parking and/or public transit). Details of this process, and the length of time for reimbursement, will be shared directly with the patient partner.
BackgroundFraser Health’s medication safety team is comprised of one professional practice consultant (nurse) and medication safety pharmacists. They are committed to promoting awareness, creation and adoption of safe medication practices as outlined by their professional and accreditation standards. Their goal is to create a medication system to prevent harm caused by medication errors. The purpose for the Medication Administration Record Clinical Policy is to outline required processes for handling computer-generated daily medication administration records including production, patient medication profile, verification and documentation. The policy includes a description of health care provider roles, scope, and practice standards.
Engagement Leader Contact Information
Engagement Leader, Patient and Public Engagement | Lower Mainland/Fraser