Posted • Last updated
Open to Vancouver Island Region, Patient partners on Vancouver Island
Have you been admitted to the hospital for a condition such as pneumonia, urinary tract infection, chronic obstructive pulmonary disease, heart failure, knee/hip/leg surgery, hysterectomy, appendicitis, etc? Do you have an interest in helping identify regional standardized clinical care nursing practices throughout the island? Join this working group to help ensure the patient voice is represented in discussions and decisions!
Open to: Patient partners on Vancouver Island
Lead Organization or DepartmentIsland Health, Regional Medical Surgical Working Group
AimThe Medical Surgical Working Group provides a venue for those with lived experience within a medical or post-operative hospital unit to be heard. Participation in this Regional Working Group also provides an important service of contributing a patient perspective to the development and delivery of services provided by the medical and surgical units at Island Health.
Level of EngagementThis opportunity is at the level of collaborate on the spectrum of engagement. The promise to you is that the research partner will work together with you to formulate solutions and incorporate your advice and recommendations into the decisions to the maximum extent possible.
EligibilityThe role of the patient advisor will include contributing to positive, open discussion with the Working Group, reflecting on personal experience to help inform positive change for clients and families in the future. We are looking for a diversity of experience from rural, remote and urban community members, and this invitation is being extended to patient and family members with an interest in this topic who are willing to volunteer their time and:
- are comfortable with participating within committees and working groups
- are comfortable with using electronic communication such as emails, videoconferencing and teleconferencing and have an interest in/understanding of computers and electronic health records
- are comfortable exploring, sharing and learning about the medical and post-surgical services that Island Health supports
- have personal or caregiver experience with an Island Health acute care medical unit or post operative surgical unit in the last 2 years and/or experience with being transferred from one acute care facility to another for ongoing care would be an asset
- Vacancies: 3-4
- Dates and times:
- Regional locations, dates and times are somewhat dependent on when most videoconference rooms are available throughout the region.
ReimbursementMileage will not be covered (teleconference participation will be available). Parking passes will be provided.
BackgroundA feedback loop will be integrated during the engagement process at the beginning of the project (Nov or Dec meeting) anytime throughout the activity as necessary and at completion of the project in October 2018/19. (Please note the Terms of Reference for additional background).
Engagement Leader Contact Information
Engagement Leader, Patient and Public Engagement | Central & North Vancouver Island