Connection method: Virtual
Open to Vancouver Island Region
Join our Island Health committee to provide your valuable input! Help us make sure the right health care providers are in the right locations across Vancouver Island as part of the Medical Planning and Credentials Committee.
Island Health Medical & Academic Affairs
The Medical Planning and Credentials Committee (MPCC) is responsible for making recommendations regarding credentialing, privileging and recruiting medical staff in Island Health. MPCC is also the committee responsible for medical staff performance evaluation and performance enhancement. In alignment with the Island Health goal of Patient Centred Care, patient engagement is integral to this work. A key focus is around creation, review and maintenance of policy. Patient partners will help develop and review systems and policies for determining recruitment needs, credentialing & privileging processes, and individual requests as appropriate.
Level of Engagement
This opportunity is at the level of collaborate on the spectrum of engagement. The promise to you is that the health care partner will work together with you to formulate solutions and incorporate your advice and recommendations into the decisions to the maximum extent possible.
• Open to patient partners from the Vancouver Island region
• Prior experience working in health care is considered an asset, however not a requirement.
• Please note:
- This opportunity is not open to patient partners who are currently employed by Island Health
- The placement process for this opportunity may include an informal interview between the volunteer and the health care partner.
- Applicants must have previously attended a PVN orientation session and completed the Volunteer Agreement. If you have not attended an orientation session but you are interested in this opportunity, please contact Charmaine Niebergall directly to see if accommodations may be possible.
• Number of vacancies: 2
• Date/Time: 3rd Tuesday of every month, 4:00pm – 5:30pm (1.5 hours, as well as additional time before and after meetings to review materials)
• Location: virtually using Zoom
• Commitment: Approximately 1 year
No out of pocket expenses are anticipated for this engagement opportunity. However, if you meet the eligibility criteria but have concerns about your ability to participate, please contact Charmaine Niebergall email@example.com to see if support options are available. We are always seeking to better understand and reduce barriers to participation.
Island Health is responsible for ensuring the right number of health care providers, with optimal skills, are in the appropriate locations across Vancouver Island to support high quality care for all patients. The Medical Planning & Credentials Committee (MPCC) is hoping to collaborate with patient partners so that they can provide valuable input as we develop systems and policies to ensure this goal is achieved. The committee is made up of members of the Medical and Academic Affairs teams, and varying department leaders.
The topics of this committee may be complex and will look at a broad spectrum of health care. However there will be support from the Governance Coordinator for patient partners to have background information and ongoing support. Due the type of information the patient partners will have access to on this committee, a clear understanding of confidentiality will be important. Information and support around confidential information will reviewed with patient partners by the Governance Coordinator. For more information please see the attached terms of reference.
Engagement Leader Contact InformationCharmaine Niebergall
Engagement Leader, Patient & Public Engagement | Vancouver Island