Posted • Last updated
Open to Vancouver Island Region, Patient partners across the Island Health region
Island Health is committed to supporting physicians to actively participate in quality improvement activities across the health authority. We need a patient partner to ensure that the voice of the patient is included in the improvement work that we do.
Open to: Patient partners across the Island Health region
Lead Organization or DepartmentIsland Health — Physician Quality Improvement
AimThe Island Health Physician Quality Improvement (PQI) program aims to increase the number of physicians in the health authority with the skills to actively participate in and lead quality improvement projects. The steering committee provides direction and oversight for the program. Involving patients in the steering committee ensures that the development and implementation of physician quality improvement training is meaningful, appropriate and relevant to those who access services and receive treatment and support within the Island Health system. As members of the committee, patient partners will be asked to provide the patient/family/public lens on the activities and issues that are discussed. Further, the patient partner role is to the help the committee better understand and reflect upon the perspectives and needs of patients, and brainstorm ways to authentically and effectively engage patients on physician-led quality improvement.
Level of EngagementThis opportunity is at the level of consult on the spectrum of engagement. The promise to you is that the health care partner will listen to and acknowledge your ideas and concerns, and provide feedback on how your input affected the decision.
EligibilityOpen to patient partners from across the Island Health region.
- Experience (personal or family) receiving care from Island Health
- Previous experience participating on quality improvement projects in a health care setting would be an asset
- Previous committee and/or board work would be an asset
LogisticsNumber of vacancies: 1 Date/Time/Location: Meetings are held every 2 months via teleconference, or video conference from multiple Island Health locations. Two meetings each year are scheduled in person – locations TBD. Commitment: One year with the option of extending beyond, as mutually agreed upon by the patient partner and committee chair.
ReimbursementPre-approved transportation & parking costs to attend meetings will be reimbursed by Island Health.
BackgroundThe Doctors of BC Specialist Services Committee oversees and funds the province-wide PQI initiative. The PQI program funds and supports Island Health to address gaps in quality structures relating to physician participation in quality improvement (QI) activities and to ensure those physicians have adequate technical, administrative, and educational supports. The purpose of the funding includes ensuring physicians are able to meet, coordinate and act on QI opportunities to enhance patient care and access SSC funded QI resources and expertise. The mission is to have physician-led QI for patient care within Island Health and, more specifically seeks to:
- promote a culture of quality improvement among physicians of Island Health;
- ensure the application of principles relating to patient-focused, multidisciplinary, learning for improvement;
- create the capacity and capability for physicians to lead quality improvement;
- support the local needs of physicians with improving the delivery of patient care;
- engage the physician medical staff by working collaboratively with Island Health’s leadership;
- actively seek input and participation from patients in physician quality activities; and
- ensure quality activities seek to promote the IHI Triple Aim.
Engagement Leader Contact Information
Engagement Leader, Patient & Public Engagement | Vancouver Island