Connection method: Virtual
Open to Vancouver Island Region
Join the Island Health Medical Education Resource Committee as we identify and prioritize the learning needs for clinicians, including rural, Indigenous Health, cultural and regional-specific learning opportunities and requirements.
Medical and Academic Affairs, Island Health
The medical staff education resource committee (MERC) supports the medical staff curriculum at Island Health. MERC endorses and promotes current and evidence-based best practices in medical staff education. The patient partner members will contribute to MERC by providing their perspective on how to promote educational opportunities and encourage uptake of required educational courses or material for medical staff.
Level of Engagement
This opportunity is at the level of collaborate on the spectrum of engagement. The promise to you is that the health care partner will work together with you to formulate solutions and incorporate your advice and recommendations into the decisions to the maximum extent possible.
• Open to patient partners from across the Island Health region.
• Have an understanding and awareness of the varying geographic community needs across the Vancouver Island region (urban, rural, remote).
• Experience or familiarity with using Zoom for virtual meetings.
• A keen interest in adult continuing education is an asset, though not a requirement.
• Experience with human resources is an asset, though not a requirement.
• Please note:
– This opportunity, as with all Island Health patient engagement opportunities, is not open to Island Health staff members or patient partners who are currently employed by Island Health. If you have questions regarding this, please email email@example.com
– The placement process for this opportunity may include an informal interview between the volunteer and the health care partner.
– Applicants must have previously attended a PVN orientation session and completed the Patient Partner Commitments form. If you have not attended an orientation session but you are interested in this opportunity, please contact Charmaine Niebergall directly to see if accommodations may be possible.
– As required by the October 14, 2021 Public Health Order released by the Provincial Health Officer, proof of vaccination is required to access any in-person meetings at an Island Health site. Proof of vaccination can be provided by way of a Vaccination Passport or Vaccination card, along with government issued photo ID. For patient partnership activities that are virtual only (via Zoom, video conference, phone, etc.), proof of vaccination is not required.
• Number of vacancies: 2
– Typically Tuesday afternoons
– Meetings are 1.5 hours
– 1 meeting every three months.
– Virtually using Zoom
– Technological support will be provided by the MERC coordinator.
• Commitment: 1 year commitment, with possible extension, meeting every three months, as well as taking time to review meeting materials in advanced, and a possible meeting agenda planning session and/or debrief.
No out-of-pocket expenses are anticipated for this engagement opportunity. However, if you meet the eligibility criteria but have concerns about your ability to participate, please contact Charmaine Niebergall firstname.lastname@example.org to see if support options are available. We are always seeking to better understand and reduce barriers to participation.
This is an advisory committee that will make recommendations and report to the Health Authority Medical Advisory Committee (HAMAC) on educational priorities, including identification of learning gaps, planning and promotion of opportunities, and onboarding of medical staff. As part of our Medical Affairs Department, the committee will support our medical staff with educational needs and implementation of new learning requirements. Note: Medical Staff refers to physicians, dentists, midwives and nurse practitioners who have been appointed and hold a permit to practice in facilities/programs operated by Island Health.
We have representatives from Medical Leadership, Staff Engagement, UBC, and Rural/Remote sites. Our terms of reference will be shared with patient partners who join the commitee. We are looking for long term patient partners to join this work.