Posted • Last updated
Open to Vancouver Island Region, Patient partners in the Nanaimo area
Island Health is designing a new Intensive Care Unit building at the Nanaimo Regional General Hospital and needs patient partners to attend several user group design meetings in person in Nanaimo to help positively influence the design. Help ensure the new building will incorporate the patient perspective!
Open to: Patient partners in the Nanaimo area
Lead Organization or DepartmentIsland Health - Department of Design & Construction
AimThe goal of this project is to design and construct a highly functional ICU. We are looking to patient partners to offer real experience, participate in group discussions, and assist in the generation and development of ideas to improve and enhance the ICU environment. Patient partners will be asked to attend and participate in several design meetings over the next months with the clinical user group and design consulting team.
Level of EngagementThis opportunity is at the level of consult on the spectrum of engagement. The promise to you is that the health care partner will listen to and acknowledge your ideas and concerns, and provide feedback on how your input affected the decision.
- Open to patient partners in the Nanaimo area
- Experience (personal or family) with the Intensive Care Unit
- Comfortable telling your story and participating in the design dialogue within a large group environment
- Familiarity with reading floor plan drawings and a general idea of design process
- Please note:
- This opportunity is not open to patient partners who are currently employed by Island Health
- The placement process for this opportunity may include an informal interview between the volunteer and the health care partner.
- Applicants must have previously attended a PVN orientation session and completed the Volunteer Agreement. If you have not attended an orientation session but you are interested in this opportunity, please contact Ryan Sidorchuck directly to see if accommodations may be possible.
- Vacancies: 3
- Date/Time: 11:00am - 3:00pm, next meeting taking place in mid-April
- Location: Nanaimo Regional Hospital
- Commitment: Monthly in person meetings for the next 3-6 months
ReimbursementIsland Health will cover local travel expenses (including mileage and parking) as per standard consultant and employee travel rates. Lunches will be provided or paid for if meetings are held during standard lunch hours, as per standard consultant and employee travel rates.
BackgroundNanaimo’s current nine-bed ICU was built in 1970. It cares for patients with life-threatening illnesses or injuries. The new ICU on the hospital’s second floor will be three times bigger, made up of 12 private rooms with washrooms and hand-washing sinks. The new ICU will also include patient lifts, a medication room, two consultation rooms, and a kitchenette. Construction of this project is expected to begin in 2020. The design and construction of the new ICU project will include a variety of stakeholder groups from a variety of Island Health departments, including clinical users (nurses and physicians), Facility Maintenance and Operations, Biomedical Engineering, Infection Prevention and Control, Occupational Health and Safety, and others.
Health Care Partner Contact Information
Engagement Leader, Patient and Public Engagement | Central & North Vancouver Island