Connection method: Virtual
Open to Northern Region, patient partners from Dawson Creek, Chetwynd and/or Tumbler Ridge and surrounding areas
Northern Health is building a new, state-of-the-art hospital in Dawson Creek and is looking for two patient partners and/or community representatives to join their Indigenous Working Group. If you would like to provide input into the design of the new hospital, this could be the opportunity for you!
Northern Health Authority, Capital Projects
The purpose of this working group is for community members and patient partners to provide feedback and share their input into the hospital design to ensure that the new facility in Dawson Creek is culturally safe, respectful, welcoming, and relevant.
We respect, value and seek an opportunity to engage with Indigenous patient partners in the spirit of reciprocity. It is with humbleness and humility that we recognize and value the importance of understanding how the hospital replacement project can meet the needs of Indigenous patients and their families.
Level of Engagement
This opportunity is at the level of involve on the spectrum of engagement. The promise to you is that the health care partner will involve patients in planning and design phases to ensure ideas or concerns are considered and reflected in alternatives and recommendations.
Open to Indigenous patient partners and community members from Dawson Creek, Chetwynd and/or Tumbler Ridge and surrounding areas who:
• Have experience of accessing health care services at Dawson Creek and District Hospital (DCDH) within the last 12 months
• Previous working group experience is an asset but not required
• Are comfortable sharing experiences in a group environment
• Are comfortable attending online meetings via Zoom or MS Teams
As connection and relationship building is important to Northern Health, informal meet & greets will form part of the selection process for short listed patient partners/community members.
• Number of vacancies: 2-3
• Date and Time: The first meeting of the Indigenous Working Group is scheduled for February 2023 – exact date TBD. Meetings will occur on a quarterly basis (every 3 months) and will last for approximately 1 hour. We anticipate having meetings in February, May, August, and November. There may be times when an ad hoc meeting is required based on needs and short deadlines from the project team
• Location: Online meetings via Zoom or MS Teams, with the possibility of in-person meetings
• Commitment: 12 months with the possibility of an extension
No out of pocket expenses are anticipated for this engagement opportunity. However, if you meet the eligibility criteria, but have concerns about your ability to participate, please contact Cassy Mitchell email@example.com to see if support options are available. We are always seeking to better understand and reduce barriers to participation.
*If travel is required to attend any in-person meetings then travel related costs such as mileage will be reimbused as per Northern Health’s travel reimbursement policy.
Approximately 15-20 representatives from local organizations and groups will be part of this working group. This includes the Treaty 8 First Nations, Nawican Friendship Centre, Aboriginal Family Services, Northern Health Indigenous Health, Northeast Metis Association, Moccasin Flats Metis Association North Wind Wellness Centre and more.
The Indigenous Working Group will work in conjunction with the DCDH Community Working Group, which is also in the process of being formed.
Sub-groups with members from both of these groups may be formed to focus on specific topics such as artwork, language, wayfinding, etc.
Our aim is for the group to have a wide range of representatives who have different experiences and access health care in unique ways.
The most up-to-date information about the Dawson Creek and District Hospital project is available at: https://letstalk.northernhealth.ca/dcdh-replacement.
The Terms of Reference for the Indigenous Working Group will be posted on the DCDH Replacement Let’s Talk website when they are finalized.