Connection method: Virtual
Open to Provincial Region
Ensuring health care services reflect the needs of all British Columbians includes addressing issues of diversity, equity, inclusion and justice. Providence Health Care Ethics Team are excited to offer a free conference registration for one patient partner when you join the Health Ethics Conference Organizing Committee.
Providence Health Care – Ethics Team
• This 2-day conference aims to tackle the challenging issue of systemic bias in health, whether due to convenience, oversight, or disinterest, that has caused lasting harms to the health of equity-owed populations and offer ethical pathways for change.
• Patient partners will use their experience and perspective as a patient, family or caregiver to provide input on conference objectives, identify topics/speakers and assist with the conference.
Level of Engagement
This opportunity is at the level of involve on the spectrum of engagement. The promise to you is that the health care partner will involve patients in planning and design phases to ensure ideas or concerns are considered and reflected in alternatives and recommendations.
Open to volunteers from across the province who:
• Ideally, have knowledge and experience with Providence Health Care.
• Have sat in a committee previously (desired but not mandatory).
• Interest in diversity, equity, inclusion and justice in health care ethics.
• Ability to meet over Zoom approximately one to two times a month and engage in some other planning activities between meetings.
• Number of vacancies: 1
• Date/Time: Meeting Thursday Nov 3 and approx. every 2 weeks following
• Location: Currently, all meetings will be held virtually (Zoom)
• Commitment: The conference will take place online on May 5 & 6th, 2022. 1-hour meetings will take place at different intervals depending on the stage of planning but approximately biweekly (may increase frequency as needed). Agendas and materials for review will be circulated between meetings.
No out-of-pocket expenses are anticipated for this engagement opportunity. However, if you meet the eligibility criteria, but have concerns about your ability to participate, please contact Jami Brown- email@example.com to see if support options are available. We are always seeking to better understand and reduce barriers to participation.
Committee members will receive free attendance at the conference, a small honorarium for non-PHC employees, and our great appreciation.
Providence Health Care typically holds an annual Health Ethics Conference in person but due to COVID, we have not had one in the past two years. This year, we are offering a virtual conference with the working theme of “Not just unintended consequences: Justice in health care ethics.”
This 2-day conference aims to tackle the challenging issue of systemic bias in health, whether due to convenience, oversight, or disinterest, that has caused lasting harm to the health of equity-owed populations and offer ethical pathways for change.
Members of the Committee will assist with:
• Finalizing the conference objectives (included in the conference description and materials)
• Identifying topics and speakers
• Assisting at the conference, including introducing speakers.
Health Care Partner Contact InformationJami Brown | BA, MAPC (she/her/hers)
BC Patient Safety & Quality Council