Connection methods: Virtual, In-person
Open to Provincial Region
Emergency Care, BC (ECBC) is a new health improvement network under the Provincial Health Services Authority (PHSA). If you would like to improve health outcomes and the experience of patients visiting emergency departments throughout the province this could be the opportunity for you!
Provincial Health Services Authority, Emergency Care BC
ECBC was created as there was no existing provincial network that was accountable for system planning, quality improvement, and implementing best practices in emergency care. Patient partners will be asked to help prioritize significant emergency care issues and ensure strategy recommendations align with the principles of person and family centered care.
Level of Engagement
This opportunity is at the level of involve on the spectrum of engagement. The promise to you is that the health care partner will involve patients in planning and design phases to ensure ideas or concerns are considered and reflected in alternatives and recommendations.
Open to patient partners across the province who:
• Have an understanding of the health care system in BC, beyond the emergency department, due to direct care experiences or as a family member/ caregiver
• Have previous experience as a committee member
• Are comfortable/interested in giving input on solutions and strategies to improve the experience of patients visiting the emergency department
• Are comfortable attending online meetings via Zoom
As cultural safety and humility is vital to improving the experience of patients visiting the emergency department the ECBC would specifically like to invite an Indigenous patient partner to join this committee.
As connection and relationship building is important to ECBC, informal meet & greets with short listed patient partners will form part of the selection process.
If you have a strong interest in this work but have not yet completed a PVN orientation and Patient Partner Commitments, are unsure if your experience is a good fit or feel another format of engagement would work better with your availability, please contact Cassy Mitchell.
• Number of vacancies: 2
• Date and Time: The kick-off meeting for the Executive Steering Committee is being scheduled for the end of April 2023 – date TBD. This may be a full day event and subsequent committee meetings will occur every 2-3 months for approximately 2hours. A touch base with ECBC staff can also be scheduled prior to committee meetings to provide additional context to agenda items and to support the patient partners. Onboarding to the committee will also be provided
• Location: The first committee meeting may be scheduled as an in person event in Vancouver and the rest of the meetings will occur virtually via Zoom
• Commitment: 12 months with the possibility of an extension
Please note that expenses related to in person meetings (travel, accommodation, mileage/parking, per diems) will be reimbursed as per PHSA’s reimbursement policy. Recognition for patient partner time will also be provided according to the health care partners’ organizational policies.
The core functions of the Emergency Medicine Network and the Emergency Services Advisory Committee are being transitioned into ECBC as there was no existing provincial network that was accountable for system planning, quality improvement, and implementing best practices in emergency care. Patient partners will be asked to help prioritize significant emergency care issues and ensure strategy recommendations align with the principles of person and family centered care.
The executive Steering committee membership is comprised of the ECBC Executive Director and medical director as co chairs, the operational and medical leads of each health authorities emergency network , BC Emergency Health Services, UBC department of emergency medicine head, & Ministry of Health. The committee will advise ECBC on priorities and endorse quality strategies/clinical processes for implementation in health authority emergency departments.
A terms of reference will be created shortly and brought to the group for endorsement.