Posted • Last updated
Connection method: Virtual
Open to Northern Region, patient partners from the surrounding area of Terrace, Northwest Northern Region
Have your say in the new hospital design! Northern Health is building a new, state-of-the-art hospital in Terrace. We are looking for two patient representatives who live in Northwest BC, (not in Terrace) who access services at Mills Memorial Hospital and want to give input into the design of the new hospital.
Northern Health Capital Projects department
Our aim in including patients is for the new hospital in Terrace to be designed in a way that is welcoming, and culturally and locally relevant and respectful. The purpose of this working group is for community members and stakeholders – including patients – to give input into the hospital design to help make that happen.
Level of Engagement
This opportunity is at the level of consult on the spectrum of engagement (www.iap2.org). The promise to you is that the health care partner will listen to and acknowledge your ideas and concerns, and provide feedback on how your input affected the decision.
• Live in Northwest BC (not in Terrace)
• Access one or more services at Mills Memorial Hospital in the last year
• Comfortable participating in virtual meetings with a group
• Please note:
– The placement process for this opportunity may include an informal interview between the volunteer and the health care partner.
• If you have a strong interest in this work but have not yet completed a PVN orientation and Volunteer Agreement, are unsure if your experience is a good fit or feel another format of engagement would work better with your availability, please contact Cathy Almost
• Number of vacancies: 2
• Date and Time: First meeting date: September 8, 2021, from 1pm-3pm
• Most meetings will:
– be 1-2 hours long
– be during the work day (9am-4pm)
– take place every 2 to 3 months.
• Note: If you join a sub-working group, you may need to participate in meetings more frequently.
• Location: virtual (Zoom)
• Commitment: seven months to a year
No out of pocket expenses are anticipated for this engagement opportunity. However, if you meet the eligibility criteria, but have concerns about your ability to participate, please contact Cathy Almost at firstname.lastname@example.org to see if support options are available. We are always seeking to better understand and reduce barriers to participation.
Approximately 15 representatives from local First Nations, stakeholder groups (including Northwest Regional Hospital District, City of Terrace, Regional District of Kitimat Stikine) and community organizations (such as Skeena Salmon Arts Festival Society, REM Lee Hospital Foundation, Hospital Auxiliary, etc.) will also be part of this working group.
This MMH Community Advisory Working Group will work in conjunction with the MMH Indigenous Advisory Working Group, which was formed in the Spring of 2021.
Sub-groups with members from both of these groups may be formed to focus on specific topics.
The most up-to-date information about the Mills Memorial Hospital project is available at: https://letstalk.northernhealth.ca/mills-memorial-hospital-replacement.
Terms of reference for the Community Advisory Working group will be posted on the Let’s Talk MMH site when they are finalized.
Terms of reference for the Indigenous Advisory Working Group, which are similar, are already available on the site.
Engagement Leader Contact InformationCathy Almost
Engagement Leader, Patient and Public Engagement | Northern Region