Posted • Last updated
Connection method: Virtual
Open to Vancouver Island Region
Improving health care services takes great leadership and a focus on excellence. Island Health is seeking two patient partners to share their patient, family or caregiver experiences to help improve clinical governance by joining the Member, Clinical Governance Steering Committee.
Island Health Executive Leadership for Quality, Operations and Practice
• To clarify accountabilities and decision making processes in support of clinical quality at the levels between the Island Health Board of Directors and the point of care clinicians.
• The role of the patient partners is to share their patient experiences and ensure the recommendations are person and family-centered.
Level of Engagement
This opportunity is at the level of collaborate on the spectrum of engagement. The promise to you is that the health care partner will work together with you to formulate solutions and incorporate your advice and recommendations into the decisions to the maximum extent possible.
• Open to patient partners from: across Vancouver Island region.
• Comfortable working in large groups.
• Confident working with senior leaders and medical staff.
• Willing to share opinions and ask tough questions.
• Familiar with the complexities of large health care organizations and the provincial health system in BC.
• A keen interest in organizational governance would be an asset.
• Comfortable using video conference platforms, such as Zoom.
• Please note:
– This opportunity, as with all Island Health patient engagement opportunities, is not open to Island Health staff members or patient partners who are currently employed by Island Health. If you have questions regarding this, please email firstname.lastname@example.org
– The placement process for this opportunity may include an informal interview between the volunteer and the health care partner.
– Applicants must have previously attended a PVN orientation session and completed the Volunteer Agreement. If you have not attended an orientation session but you are interested in this opportunity, please contact Charmaine Niebergall directly to see if accommodations may be possible.
• Number of vacancies: 2
• Date/Time: 1 – 1.5 hour monthly meetings
• Location: Remotely via video conferencing (e.g. Zoom)
• Commitment: End of Nov. 2021 to May 2022 (approx. 7 months)
No out-of-pocket expenses are anticipated for this engagement opportunity. However, if you meet the eligibility criteria but have concerns about your ability to participate, please contact Charmaine Niebergall email@example.com to see if support options are available. We are always seeking to better understand and reduce barriers to participation.
Clinical Governance is the mechanisms by which an organization holds and oversees accountability for clinical decisions. The pandemic shed light on how Island Health can improve how it makes clinical program and policy decisions. Several major clinical planning projects will be undertaken in the near future and a high functioning decision making system is required for these planning projects to be successful.
This steering committee will lead a process to investigate international best practices as compared to future practices, and recommend improvements to Executive leaders.
Terms of Reference for the Steering Committee will be available. Members on the Committee will include patient partners, Vice Presidents, Executive Directors and Executive Medical Directors and Directors.
Engagement Leader Contact InformationCharmaine Niebergall
Engagement Leader, Patient & Public Engagement | Vancouver Island