Posted • Last updated
Connection method: Virtual
Open to Vancouver Island Region
Improving health care services takes great leadership and a focus on excellence. Island Health is seeking a patient partner to share their patient, family or caregiver experiences to help improve clinical governance by joining the Clinical Governance Steering Committee.
Island Health Executive Leadership for Quality, Operations and Practice
• To clarify accountabilities and decision processes between the Island Health Board of Directors and the point of care clinicians.
• The role of the patient partners is to share their patient experiences and ensure the recommendations are person and family-centered.
Level of Engagement
This opportunity is at the level of collaborate on the spectrum of engagement. The promise to you is that the health care partner will work together with you to formulate solutions and incorporate your advice and recommendations into the decisions to the maximum extent possible.
• Open to patient partners from: across Vancouver Island region
• Comfortable working in large groups.
• Confident working with senior leaders and medical staff.
• Willing to share opinions and ask tough questions.
• Familiar with the complexities of large health care organizations and the provincial health system in BC.
• A keen interest in organizational governance would be an asset.
• Comfortable using video conferenging platforms, such as Zoom.
• Please note:
– This opportunity, as with all Island Health patient engagement opportunities, is not open to Island Health staff members or patient partners who are currently employed by Island Health. If you have questions regarding this, please email firstname.lastname@example.org
– The placement process for this opportunity may include an informal interview between the volunteer and the health care partner.
– Applicants must have previously attended a PVN orientation session and completed the Volunteer Agreement. If you have not attended an orientation session but you are interested in this opportunity, please contact Charmaine Niebergall directly to see if accommodations may be possible.
• Number of vacancies: 2
• Dates and times:
– Days and times of the meetings will vary, but will be held no more than twice per month.
– Meetings days and times will be sent out 3 months in advanced.
– Upcoming meeting dates:
- April 25 1:00pm – 2:30pm
- May 9th 3:00pm – 4:30pm
- June 6th 11:00am – 12:30p
• Location: Remotely via video conferencing (e.g. Zoom)
• Commitment: 1 year with possible extension
No out-of-pocket expenses are anticipated for this engagement opportunity. However, if you meet the eligibility criteria but have concerns about your ability to participate, please contact Charmaine Niebergall email@example.com to see if support options are available. We are always seeking to better understand and reduce barriers to participation.
Clinical Governance is the mechanisms by which an organization holds and oversees accountability for clinical decisions. The pandemic shed light on how Island Health can improve how it makes clinical program and policy decisions. Several major clinical planning projects will be undertaken in the near future and a high functioning decision making system is required for these planning projects to be successful. This steering committee will make final recommendations to Executive on the top 5 improvements to make within Island Health clinical governance system. A Terms of Reference for the Steering Committee is available. Members on the Committee will include patient partners, Vice Presidents, Executive Directors and Executive Medical Directors and Directors.