Connection method: Virtual
Open to Vancouver Island Region
Island Health is seeking patient partners for 3 different committees: Health Authority Medical Advisory Committee (HAMAC) and its sub-committees: Medical Planning and Credentialing Committee (MPCC) and the Medical Education Resource Committee (MERC). Help us ensure that the patient perspective is at the forefront of the decisions we make as we strive to provide a great patient experience to everyone, everywhere, every time!
Island Health & Medical and Academic Affairs
The role of HAMAC, and its sub-committees, is to provide advice to the Island Health Board of Directors. HAMAC monitors the quality and effectiveness of medical care, the adequacy of medical staff resources, continuing education for medical staff and planning goals to meet the medical care needs of the community. We are asking the patient partners to participate in monthly meetings at 1, or all 3, of our committees. Patient partners will contribute by asking questions and sharing experiences and opinions that will help guide our decision making.
Level of Engagement
This opportunity is at the level of collaborate on the spectrum of engagement. The promise to you is that the health care partner will work together with you to formulate solutions and incorporate your advice and recommendations into the decisions to the maximum extent possible.
• Open to patient partners from: Island Health region.
• Experience as a patient or family member receiving care or services from Island Health.
• Previous experience as part of a committee or quality improvement project is an asset, but is not required.
• Familiar with virtual meetings using Zoom.
• Please note:
– This opportunity is not open to staff members or patient partners who are currently employed by this health authority.
– As connection and relationship building is important, we may like to meet with short listed patient partners as part of our selection process in an informal interview between the patient partner and the health care partner.
– Applicants must have previously attended a PVN orientation session and completed the Patient Partner Commitments form. If you have not attended an orientation session but you are interested in this opportunity, please contact Charmaine Niebergall directly to see if accommodations may be possible.
– As required by the October 14, 2021 Public Health Order released by the Provincial Health Officer, proof of vaccination is required to access any in-person meetings at a health care site. Proof of vaccination can be provided by way of a Vaccination Passport or Vaccination card, along with government issued photo ID. For patient partnership activities that are virtual only (via Zoom, video conference, phone, etc.), proof of vaccination is not required.
• Number of vacancies: 6 (2 per committee)
– Medical Planning and Credentialing Committee (MPCC) – Third Tuesday of every month from 4:00-5:30pm
– Medical Education Resource Committee (MERC) – Second Tuesday of every 2 months from 4:00-5:30 pm
– Health Authority Medical Advisory Committee (HAMAC) – Second Thursday of every month from 3:00-6:00pm
• Location: virtually using Zoom
• Commitment: 1 year with potential for extension
No out-of-pocket expenses are anticipated for this engagement opportunity. However, if you meet the eligibility criteria but have concerns about your ability to participate, please contact Charlotte Bowey to see if support options are available. We are always seeking to better understand and reduce barriers to participation.
The decisions made at this table affect the care provided across the Health Authority and it is the last stop for decision making before the Board of Directors. The Terms of Reference we use are outlined in the Medical Staff Rules starting on page 33. Please don’t let the formality of these “rules” deter you from applying. We are ready to welcome you and will work closely with you to bring you up to speed and ensure you feel comfortable.
The HAMAC, and other 2 committees, produce formal agendas and minutes for each meeting. The coordinator of the meetings will be your point of contact for everything and if/when needed can arrange meetings with you and the Committee Chair before the meeting, to ensure your questions are answered and you come to the meeting feeling well informed and ready to participate.