Posted • Last updated
Open to Northern Region, Patient partners in the Northern Health region
Patient safety matters! Patients and family members are active partners in ensuring safe care every day. Northern Health is looking for patient and family input to potentially redesign a key patient safety pamphlet.
Open to: Patient partners in the Northern Health region
Lead Organization or DepartmentNorthern Health Quality Improvement
AimWe are looking to ensure our Patient Safety Pamphlet, “Your Safety is Important to Us”, communicates key safety risks and that patients and families understand their role to prevent these from occurring, ie: medication errors, falls, infections, pressure ulcers.
Level of EngagementThis opportunity is at the level of involve on the spectrum of engagement. The promise to you is that the health care partner will involve patients in planning and design phases to ensure ideas or concerns are considered and reflected in alternatives and recommendations.
- Comfortable speaking in a group of up to 10 people.
- Potentially able to participate in following working group if interested.
- If you have a strong interest in this work but have not yet completed a PVN orientation and Volunteer Agreement, are unsure if your experience is a good fit please contact Cathy Almost.
- Open to patient partners in the Northern Health region
- Vacancies: 8 in each area, Fort St. John and Prince George
- In-person focus groups would be scheduled for March 2018
- Locations include Fort St. John and Prince George
- Focus groups would be 2 hours in length
- One-time commitment (with possible extension to a Working Group)
ReimbursementCosts for travel to and from events in your local community will be covered. Prior approval will be required.
BackgroundNorthern Health (NH) currently has a patient safety pamphlet that is distributed to approximately 24,000 patients and family members each year upon admission to an acute care facility. The pamphlet was created in 2014 by NH staff and did not include input from patients and family members. The goal in creating this pamphlet was to assist NH staff in upholding key standards of practice to ensure patients remain safe when receiving care in all NH facilities. It contains key technical information that cannot be changed, ie: hand washing techniques, but the overall visual design, language used and presentation of information can be redesigned with input from patient and family volunteers.
Health Care Partner Contact Information
Engagement Leader, Patient and Public Engagement | Northern BC