Posted • Last updated
Connection method: Virtual
Open to Provincial Region
The Allied Health Policy Secretariat at the Ministry of Health has been tasked with developing a 3-year strategic plan and would like to invite patient partners to attend a 90 minute virtual focus group session to provide a patient perspective that will contribute to the future of the allied health workforce in British Columbia!
Ministry of Health, Allied Health Policy Secretariat
• To complete a provincial consultation that identifies allied health workforce issues and opportunities related to seven core themes, which will then inform a 3-year Provincial Allied Health Strategic Plan.
• The purpose of engaging patient partners is to provide the patient perspective on experiences with allied health professionals in BC. The Allied Health workforce is made up of a diverse range of health professionals and occupations, both regulated and unregulated. They provide preventative, diagnostic, rehabilitative, mental health, nutrition and therapeutic services in a variety of settings. Allied health often work in collaboration with physicians, nurses, patients, clients, residents, families and others to optimize team-based care. Allied health professionals include: Dietitians, Occupational Therapists, Physiotherapists, Medical Laboratory Technologists and many others.
Level of Engagement
This opportunity is at the level of consult on the spectrum of engagement. The promise to you is that the health care partner will listen to and acknowledge your ideas and concerns, and provide feedback on how your input affected the decision.
Open to patient partners across the province who:
• Have experience of directly receiving care from an Allied Heath Professional or a family member/care giver of someone receiving care from an Allied Health Professional within the past three years (i.e., health care professionals who are not doctors or nurses)
• Are comfortable sharing experiences in a small group setting with other patient partners
• Are comfortable using Zoom to attend a virtual focus group session
If you have a strong interest in this work but have not yet completed a PVN orientation and Volunteer Agreement, are unsure if your experience is a good fit or feel another format of engagement would work better with your availability, please contact Cassy Mitchell.
• Number of vacancies: 8-12
• Date and Time: Exact date/time to be determined, but sessions will be scheduled before July 31, 2021. The duration of the focus group will be approximately 1.5hrs
• Location: Online Zoom meeting
• Commitment: One time
No out of pocket expenses are anticipated for this engagement opportunity. However, if you meet the eligibility criteria, but have concerns about your ability to participate, please contact Cassy Mitchell email@example.com to see if support options are available. We are always seeking to better understand and reduce barriers to participation.
In June 2020, the Ministry of Health (Ministry) launched the Allied Health Policy Secretariat (AHPS) to provide stewardship and focussed leadership to more than 70 allied health professions and occupations providing vital health services to British Columbians.
British Columbia’s public health care system faces significant recruitment and retention challenges with the allied health workforce. These workforce issues create significant service delivery challenges and affect patient care. The need for an enhanced policy to focus on the allied health workforce has been identified as a critical step to support recruitment and retention of Allied Health into publicly funded health care.
Consultations will take place with front-line allied health professionals and occupations, practice leaders, unions, professional associations, regulators, Indigenous partners, the education sector and other key stakeholders including patients.
Engagement Leader Contact InformationCassy Mitchell
Engagement Leader, Patient and Public Engagement | Provincial