Posted • Last updated
Connection method: Virtual
Open to Northern Region, patient partners who have experienced Community Services as a patient or caregiver
Northern Health knows falls are one of the leading causes of hospitalizations and are committed to doing something about it. They are seeking two patient partners to help enhance its falls prevention and awareness materials through joining a working group.
Northern Health, Rehabilitation Services Program
The aim is to involve patient partners in the development of an educational & awareness package about falls prevention for health care providers working in community settings. Patient partners are invited to contribute their lived experience related to falls prevention. The patient and/or caregiver experience may include details about the experience related to assessment, intervention, and follow-up. Your contributions will be included in both educational and awareness materials for Falls Prevention.
Level of Engagement
This opportunity is at the level of involve on the spectrum of engagement. The promise to you is that the health care partner will involve patients in planning and design phases to ensure ideas or concerns are considered and reflected in alternatives and recommendations.
• Comfortable telling your story
• Have internet access and own device required
• Experience with Zoom
• Please note:
– The placement process for this opportunity may include an informal interview between the volunteer and the health care partner.
• If you have a strong interest in this work but have not yet completed a PVN orientation and Volunteer Agreement, are unsure if your experience is a good fit or feel another format of engagement would work better with your availability, please contact Cathy Almost
• Number of vacancies: 2
• Date and Time: Early November – specific date based on volunteer’s availability
• Location: 1 meeting (30-60min) per week over 1 month
• Commitment: One week to six months
No out of pocket expenses are anticipated for this engagement opportunity. However, if you meet the eligibility criteria, but have concerns about your ability to participate, please contact Cathy Almost at email@example.com to see if support options are available. We are always seeking to better understand and reduce barriers to participation
Northern Health has recently updated the Clinical Practice Standard that guides falls prevention work in community settings. Educational materials are being developed by the Northern Health, Rehabilitation Services Program to teach health care providers about the updated practices in falls prevention. Developers are interested in incorporating patient experiences into the training, so as to encourage experience and person focused learning (as opposed to task orientation).
This working group will include: Falls Prevention Accreditation Steward and someone from NH communications. The module may be a case study with accompanying questions, this has not yet been decided.
Engagement Leader Contact InformationCathy Almost
Engagement Leader, Patient and Public Engagement | Northern Region