Posted • Last updated
Connection method: Virtual
Open to Interior Region
As a volunteer member of the Interior Health, Research Ethics Board you will serve on a board with over 20 other members representing scientific, ethics, community (patient partner), and legal expertise. If you have a passion for learning, collaborating with other members to further research please consider this opportunity.
Interior Health – Research Ethics Board
The Research Ethics Board provides independent multi-disciplinary ethical review of human research involving Interior Health (IH) facilities or programs; conducted by IH staff or medical staff; or involving IH staff, students, patients or persons in care as participants. The patient partner fills a critical role as a member of the community who is not formally affiliated with IH (e.g. as a staff member or physician). The primary role of the community member is to reflect the perspective of the research participant.
Level of Engagement
This opportunity is at the level of collaborate on the spectrum of engagement. The promise to you is that the health care partner will work together with you to formulate solutions and incorporate your advice and recommendations into the decisions to the maximum extent possible.
• An interest in and understanding of health research
• It is expected that the patient partner will attend the monthly meetings and participate in the ethical review of research projects
• No current affiliation with Interior Health
• Live anywhere within the Interior Health region
• The selected patient partner will join the existing community (patient partner) representative on the REB
• Number of vacancies: 1
– Location, Date, Time and Frequency:
• The board meets on the first Thursday of each month, from 7:30 am to 9:00 am, except for August
• Meetings may be held in-person subject to following Public Health protocols and Infection Control procedures in place at the time for the management of COVID19
• Since March 2020 the REB has met by teleconference or internet-based meeting platform (WebEx)
• The term for this position is expected to be for over a year
It is not anticipated that the volunteer will incur any additional expenses as in-person meetings of the REB are not supported at this time and the volunteer work is based on electronic platforms done remotely using a personal computer, tablet or phone.
Should in-person meeting attendance become and option, expenses such as mileage will be offered for travel from out of town; pre-approval is required. Free parking is available during the meeting time period (until 9:00 a.m. weekdays).
This opportunity has arisen due to the recent resignation for personal reasons of one of the two community members.
Currently there are 20 standing members and 1 substitute members on the board, representing legal and ethics and a wide variety of scientific disciplines (medicine, nursing, epidemiology, kinesiology, gerontology and pharmacy). The board is looking to appoint one standing member to join the members including the other community member who joined in April 2020. Members are appointed by the IH President & CEO upon recommendation by the REB Chair.
Risks associated with this work are minimal and members are covered under the Health Authority’s insurance for any liability arising from the work of the board.
Decisions are made by the board as a whole, not by individuals, further minimizing liability.
The IH REB reviews research pertaining to all varieties of care settings including acute and primary care, long-term care, community care, and outreach programs. In addition, we participate in the ethical review of research that takes place at multiple sites in the province of BC and may include Population Health research, Health Systems & Services research, or Clinical research.
The Terms of Reference will be provided to those selected further discussion of this opportunity with the Chair.