Posted • Last updated
Open to Provincial Region, Patient partners from across the province
Are you interested in improving surgical care in BC? The Ministry of Health and Doctors of BC are developing an initiative to measure physician quality improvement and would like to collaborate with you on the selection of surgical care indicators.
Open to: Patient partners from across the province
Lead Organization or DepartmentBC Patient Safety & Quality Council, Secretariat for the Measurement System for Physician Quality Improvement (MSPQI)
AimThe Surgical Care Quality Measures Group, made up of physicians, government, health authorities, and patient representatives will work together to select and recommend quality measures. Physicians will use the measurement system to support improvement opportunities, monitor their progress and provide system level data for informing planning and policy.
Level of EngagementThis opportunity is at the level of collaborate on the spectrum of engagement. The promise to you is that the health care partner will work together with you to formulate solutions and incorporate your advice and recommendations into the decisions to the maximum extent possible.
- Preference is for patient partners who have experience as a surgical patient however those with lived experience as a caregiver of a family member who has undergone surgical procedure(s) may be considered.
- Previous experience participating in committees and working groups with physicians or administrators
- Comfortable with public speaking and providing feedback to the committee
- Some familiarity with any of the following: research, evaluation, performance measurement, quality improvement, quality measurement, especially in a health setting is an asset
- Willingness to learn
LogisticsVacancies: 1 Commitment: The committee will run approximately 4-6 months and will begin in mid- to late October. Location: Meetings will occur monthly via WebEx or teleconference. There is a possibility that some meetings will be held in-person in Vancouver.
ReimbursementPatient partners will be compensated for travel expenses. Refreshments and snacks will be provided at in-person meetings.
BackgroundThe Government of BC, Doctors of BC and BC health authorities partnered in 2017 to develop a province-wide measurement system for physician quality improvement. This measurement system will make data accessible to physicians to support improvement opportunities, self-monitor progress and provide system level data for informing planning and policy, ultimately benefiting patients and the health system. The Surgical Care Quality Measures Group, made up of physicians, government, health authority, and patient representatives will work together to select and recommend quality measures to contribute to the measurement system. The role of the patient partner will include the following:
- Attend Quality Measures Groups meetings and participate actively
- Review meeting materials in advance of meeting
- Be willing to share experiences in the health system
- Participate in the selection of physician quality measures to produce a recommended set of indicators
Health Care Partner Contact Information
Engagement Leader, Patient & Public Engagement | Provincial