Posted • Last updated
Open to Fraser – Vancouver Coastal, Patient partners around Burnaby with patient or caregiver experience with Burnaby Hospital
Improving the quality of services and establishing strong partnerships with patients are the goals of Burnaby Hospital. Through their Patient Navigation Team they hope to involve patient partners as they tackle a variety of quality and safety improvement projects that increase patient- and family- centred care across the hospital.
Open to: Patient partners around Burnaby with patient or caregiver experience with Burnaby Hospital
Lead Organization or DepartmentBurnaby Hospital Patient Navigation Team
AimTo incorporate patient input into:
- the development an evaluation of safety and quality projects;
- support and strengthen Burnaby Hospitals’ knowledge and adoption of a patient and family-centred care focus
Level of EngagementThis opportunity is at the level of collaborate (at the local community or program level) on the spectrum of engagement (www.iap2.org). The promise to you is that the health care partner will look to you for advice in decision making, developing alternatives, and solutions and include your recommendations into the decision as much as possible.
- Open to patient partners from Burnaby, or surrounding areas, who have had experience as a patient, friend or family member with Burnaby Hospital
- Comfortable speaking in front of a large group of people in a committee meeting setting
- Ability to use personal experience constructively to contribute to big picture problem solving
- Vacancies: 2
- Date & Time: One hour, bi-monthly Navigation Core meetings from 1100-1200.
- Location: Burnaby Hospital, 3935 Kincaid St, Burnaby, BC
- Commitment: One year, One hour, bi-monthly Navigation Core meetings. Participation in project work, along with dates and times will be agreed upon during these bi-weekly meetings. The Patient Navigation Team is asking for approximately 4 to 5 hours of participation per month (this includes time spent at the Core meeting).
ReimbursementPreapproved expenses related to travel to in person meetings will be reimbursed according to the Fraser Health Travel policy (including mileage each way, tolls, parking and public transit, etc).
BackgroundThe Burnaby Hospital Patient Navigation Team will offer patient representatives various opportunities for participation in safety and quality projects. The scope of these projects will vary, ranging between the four levels of engagement: inform, consult, involve, and collaborate. Patient Representatives will also be asked to participate in a Patient Navigation Core meeting, attended by site leadership, on a bi-weekly or monthly basis. Within these meetings, we will ask the Patient Representatives to offer feedback on the progress of existing quality initiatives and ideas towards the creation new ones. The idea of collaborating with patient site representatives began after several recent partnerships with the Patient Voices Network. Burnaby Hospital’s Patient Navigation Team recently conducted a focus group with the help of four members of the PVN. This experience proved very valuable in expanding the Patient Navigation Teams understanding of patient- and family- centred care. Additionally, it illustrated the importance of including patient perspectives in the planning, implementation, and evaluation of our safety and quality work. This goal has the strong support of our Executive Director and Operations Manager. The Patient Navigation Team envisions each patient partner becoming an equal team member. Each project that is completed over the course of the year will be evaluated and summarized at its conclusion. The impact this work has had on measures of site safety, quality, and patient experience will be included within each project evaluation. At the end of the year, the Patient Navigation Team and Patient Representative will complete a final debriefing session. During this session, each stakeholder will review the challenges and accomplishments over the course of the year. Feedback about the sites progress towards patient- and family- centred care would be welcomed.
Health Care Partner Contact Information
Engagement Leader, Patient and Public Engagement | Fraser Valley