Posted • Last updated
Open to Fraser – Vancouver Coastal, Volunteers from the Vancouver and Fraser regions
The Burnaby Health Services Network wants to see smoother transitions for patients between health care sectors (home care, residential care, assisted living, acute/hospital care, etc.). If you have experience navigating the system from one sector to another, your perspective and voice is needed in this network.
Open to: Volunteers from the Vancouver and Fraser regions
Lead Organization or DepartmentFraser Health Authority
AimThe Burnaby Health Services Network was created to improve communication and collaboration between health sectors (home care, residential care, assisted living, acute/hospital care, etc). Recognizing that often a patient’s journey through the system is not smooth, this network is committed to making changes to better the patient experience. The group consists of 15-20 directors/managers from the various health sectors in the region, and soon, patient representatives. The role of the patient will be to share their perspectives on the issues raised and participate in group problem solving and solution development.
Level of EngagementThis opportunity is at the level of collaborate (at the local community or program level) on the spectrum of engagement (www.iap2.org). The promise to you is that the health care partner will look to you for advice in decision making, developing alternatives, and solutions and include your recommendations into the decision as much as possible.
- Open to volunteers from the Vancouver and Fraser regions
- Fluent in English, with excellent reading comprehension and communication skills
- Comfortable speaking in front of a large committee
- Personal experience (as patient or family member) navigating the system and being discharged from one sector to another
- Ability to use personal experience constructively to contribute to big picture problem solving
- PVN members need to have previously attended a PVN orientation session. If you have not attended an orientation but are interested please contact the Engagement Leader directly to see if accommodations may be possible.
- Please note: interviews may be scheduled with a shortlist of volunteers
- Vacancies: 2
- Date & Time: TBD. Meetings will occur during regular business hours, on a monthly basis. The next meeting is scheduled for November 30, 1-3.
- Location: Meetings will rotate between Burnaby Hospital and Residential Care Homes in Burnaby.
- Commitment: One year, with a possibility of renewal up to two years.
ReimbursementPreapproved expenses related to travel to in person meetings will be reimbursed according to the Fraser Health Travel policy (including mileage each way, tolls, parking and public transit, etc).
BackgroundThe Burnaby Health Services Network was started in 2015. It is co-chaired by a representative from acute services, and a representative from residential care services. Membership consists of directors, managers and administrators from Burnaby Hospital (including the Emergency Department), Residential and Contracted facilities in the FHA, Community Access FHA, Home Support, Home Health and patient representatives. Specifically, the group aims to:
- Improve the patient experience when moving from one health sector to another
- Ensure durable discharge from acute care
- Ensure that care is patient centred and responsive to the needs of the client and the family
Engagement Leader Contact Information
Engagement Leader, Patient and Public Engagement|Fraser Valley