Posted • Last updated
Open to Provincial Region, Patient partners across the province
Your Heart. Your Voice. Are you interested in speaking up on heart health in British Columbia? Heart disease is currently the second leading cause of death in Canada, but this is something we hope to change!
Open to: Patient partners across the province
Lead Organization or DepartmentBC Centre for Improved Cardiovascular Health (ICVHealth)
AimAs a member of the Executive Committee, the patient partner will have an equal voice in the identification and prioritization of research initiatives at ICVHealth. They will also have the opportunity to inform the design of potential research projects, to clarify their importance, to ensure the methods selected are appropriate for patients, to co-develop recruitment strategies, and to provide input on data collection methods. As a member of the Advisory Board, the patient partner will have an equal voice in setting priorities for the overall strategic direction of ICVHealth, including advice on how to enhance the excellence of the research conducted at ICVHealth.
Level of EngagementThis opportunity is at the level of collaborate on the spectrum of engagement (www.iap2.org). The promise to you is that the research partner will look to you for advice in decision making, developing alternatives, and solutions and include your recommendations into the decision as much as possible.
- Experience as a patient or informal caregiver related to cardiovascular health
- Ability to bring personal experience, wisdom, judgement, and influence to the discussion
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to think critically - to identify, construct and evaluate arguments
- Ability to use a computer to communicate, access and review documents, and receive/respond to emails
- Experience as a link between researchers and the patient community is an asset
- Experience as a board member overseeing the activities of an organization is an asset
- Patients should have previously attended a PVN orientation and completed the Volunteer Agreement
- Vacancies: we have one patient partner on our advisory board and are now seeking a minimum of three additional patient partners. In the end, we wish to have at least two to serve as members on our Advisory Board and at least two on our Executive Committee.
- Date and Time: the Executive Committee meets four times per year, and meetings are approximately 60-90 minutes in length. The Advisory Board meets two times per year and meetings are approximately 90-120 minutes in length. Both schedules are to be determined as necessary.
- Location: the Executive Committee and Advisory Board each have one in-person meeting per year at ICVHealth’s downtown office. The rest of the meetings are via teleconference or videoconference.
- Commitment: we are asking for a one-year commitment with an annual review for reappointment. Relevant meeting documents will be emailed to participants approximately one week prior to the meeting, and attendees are asked to familiarize themselves with the materials. The review of such meeting materials is expected to take no longer than one hour.
- ICVHealth is working with the BC SUPPORT Unit to schedule an orientation and a full day of training in patient-oriented research at St. Paul's Hospital in May 2017. Travel and training costs will be covered by ICVHealth.
- Please note: as part of the selection process, shortlisted patient partners will be invited for a phone interview with ICVHealth to discuss details of the partnership and to allow the patient partner to learn more about the position.
ReimbursementReimbursement of approved out-of-pocket expenses such as mileage and parking costs for committee and board meetings will be provided. For patients in the Lower Mainland/Fraser Valley, mileage and parking or transit will be reimbursed for all meetings. For patients residing outside of the region, ICVHealth will fund travel for one in-person meeting per year. Funding will also be provided for travel to attend orientation(s) and patient-oriented research training.
BackgroundICVHealth is a heart health research centre that supports the translation of research findings into improved health care for patients. For more information, please visit the website: www.icvhealth.ca
Engagement Leader Contact Information
Engagement Leader, Patient and Public Engagement | Lower Mainland & Sunshine Coast