- This event has passed.
Pain BC Webinar: How to Talk to Chronic Pain Patients About Neuroplasticity, CBT and Mindfulness
November 9, 2017 @ 12:00 pm - 1:00 pmFree
If you’ve ever tried to explain neuroplasticity in a few sentences with your chronic pain patients then you know how challenging that can be. We need to be careful how we talk about neuroplasticity, self-management and catastrophizing with patients. Depending on the patient’s level of readiness and knowledge about mind-body therapies and psychosocial approaches, discussing complex concepts can sometimes have the opposite of our desired effect. In this webinar, Dr. Davidicus Wong will share proven strategies for successful patient education about chronic pain, even in the shortest visits, in any clinical setting. Group session slides and patient handouts provided.
You’ll learn to:
- Explain neuroplasticity to your patients, how it contributes to their chronic pain and how it can help them.
- Broach the subject of mindfulness to manage chronic pain, and a few ways to introduce it into the patient’s self-management repertoires.
- Educate patients on cognitive behavioural therapy and provide recommended CBT resources to learn more.
- Lead group visits and identify the benefits of group visits for pain, CBT and mindfulness education.
- Use Pain BC’s patient education resources to support conversations around neuroplasticity, self-management and other complex topics integral to living well with pain and returning to function.